Chapter 1: Acceptance

So this was it.  After months of applications, trials, secret meetings and encrypted transmissions; finally you'd made it.  You had to admit that you were unsure whether you'd make the cut, perhaps the world was simply desperate for more heroes.  It certainly seemed that way on the news; Numbani deeply embroiled in a bloody civil war, fires raging across London from Talon attacks and widespread fear of hacking from the mysterious Sombra protocol.  Yes the world was most certainly in a troubled state.  However, it would not be the first time.

Thirty years prior, the Omnics declared war.  The peoples of the world had no answers, until they turned to a small group of heroes.  Overwatch.  This ragtag band of scientists, adventurers and oddities somehow managed to keep the world from falling apart and thus were hailed as heroes.  You were only six years old when the war with the Omnics finally ended but you still remembered that glorious day perfectly.  It was the day when fighting finally stopped and it seemed as if peace would finally reign over the planet.  If only those times had lasted.  Over the years people began to mistrust an independent PMC with as much power as Overwatch and so with government and public pressure, the organisation shut down, its agents spreading across the world in seclusion.  Darkness returned as evil forces moved into play; Talon, the Sombra protocol and even simply gangs and militia forces such as the Los Muertos in Mexico.  Overwatch was required once more but without government support or even public esteem they could no longer risk regrouping.  Instead the organisation had stuck to the shadows, slowly contacting former members and recruiting new ones.  That is where you came in.  As an experienced hacker and novice gunman you had decided that you'd had enough of curling the corner hoping for heroes and justice.  No matter what people said, you had stared up at Overwatch as a child and seen the hope they brought with them wherever they went.  And now it was your turn to help.

Despite the recent terror attacks, you had travelled all the way from your house in LA to the jewel of England, London.  Apparently there was an experienced agent waiting for you in King's Row, a reasonably high class area of the city that was unfortunately the site of many of Talon's attacks.  As you exited the black taxi and paid the driver you shivered a little, English weather was colder than you'd expected.  You'd decided to wear a simple shirt and jeans with a leather jacket on top, thinking that it would be enough to keep you warm.  You were wrong. 

The rain lashed down onto the cobbled streets as the moon hung high within the sky, blocked out by the tall and imposing buildings on either side.  You were passed by hundreds of people who all shared a similar depressed mood, trudging along with their hoods and umbrellas while trying to avoid the worst of the storm.  There was, however, also a sharp edge of uncertainty in the air, as if something terrible was about to happen.  You were leant against the wall of a quaint little shop called "Hoof and Haunch" trying to spot your contact in amongst the crowds of people.  The inclement weather showed no signs of stopping as your back ached from standing around.  Overwatch really like to keep people waiting didn't it.

Suddenly, down an alleyway on the other side of the street you noticed a brief blue flash which nobody else seemed to have seen.  You blinked a couple of times and nothing was there.  Normally you'd disregard it as your mind playing tricks on you but if you were going to become an agent then you'd need to learn to investigate these things.  You strolled across the street, certain that you were imagining things, and stepped slowly into the alleyway.  Once you were a certain distance down it you decided to check if anyone was there.

"Hello?! Anyone out there?!"

Over the forceful silence you heard a faint giggle and saw another blue flash towards the end of the alleyway.

"Okay..." you muttered to yourself, you were either crazy or someone else was.  Pulling a pocket torch from your jacket, you cautiously tiptoed onwards, aiming the torch anywhere where you heard the slightest sound.  At the end of the alleyway, a huge brick wall blocked your path with no other side passages.  Had you seriously just imagined someone laughing.