Chapter 24: Endgame Pt 2

You stared out of the main domed window, astonished at the sight before you. Space, never-ending, never faltering. It was beautiful...and terrifying at the same time. After the rough take-off, during which you'd felt as if your face was going to fall off in the G force, the atmosphere had remained silent for several minutes as each of you took in the wonder before you. The final frontier. This was something that you could only have dreamed about in the past, now you were going into space to fight with lasers, brilliant.

"So how many times have you flown this thing?" Lena asked to break the silence.

"Three simulations, one in atmosphere run and I did once dick about with it in the clouds for a while when Winston wasn't looking. Never actually been in space with it before" the pilot replied.

"Seriously?! Perfect" you commented in a concerned tone.

"Relax, we'll be fine as long as I don't do any one of a thousand things wrong...yeah we're all gonna die" the pilot answered.

"How brilliant" Symmetra stated sarcastically in her usual condescending tone. The pilot flicked a switch above his head, detaching the rocket boosters and sending them floating away as the shuttle continued ascending. He keyed in the lunar base's co-ordinates into the navcomputer, pressing a button on the dashboard and presenting himself with a route to follow.

"Alright, there's approximately an hour or so until we reach the Moon the Horizon colony. I've set the autopilot for this section of the trip, just stay seated and enjoy the views. Providing we don't die there, I doubt we'll see anything like this again" he reported, sitting back in his seat and leaving the three of you to do the same.

An hour passed, spent mostly with you and Lena cuddling up to one another in the presence of the stars while Symmetra and the pilot each fiddled with different pieces of technology. You all sat up as you noticed a structure on the Moon appear over the horizon. It seemed like something out of a science fiction movie, a small collection of futuristic looking buildings positioned on the surface of the barren rock itself.

"What's our plan of attack? A massive Overwatch symbol is painted on the side of the shuttle so we can hardly just land in the hangar" you stated.

"There are four spacesuits in that back compartment there, we could land just outside and approach on foot, entering through an airlock. Symmetra can then set up her teleporter inside and I'll head back through it, doubt you'll need me for the rest of the mission" the pilot answered in explanation.

"What about exfiltration?" Lena asked with concern.

"Well provided you keep it covered, you can use Symmetra's teleport to get out again" the pilot said. You all nodded in agreement and retrieved your gear from under your feet as the shuttle landed outside the facility with minimal turbulence. Cocking your pistols, you placed them carefully in holsters strapped to your waist and picked up the submachine gun. Lena reached for her pulse pistols while Symmetra picked up her photon projector. You then all turned to the compartment behind you and opened it with a code that the pilot gave you, revealing four black spacesuits with small Overwatch symbols in the corner. The suits were top of the range, with helmets that possessed glass with the capability to filter only a certain amount of light through, preventing overexposure from looking at bright cosmic objects such as the Sun for too long. You began squeezing into your suit, pulling the sleeves on with great difficulty. They may have been high tech, but they were also incredibly tight. Symmetra seemed to be the only one who fitted hers without moaning, much to the annoyance of the pilot. However, after around five minutes, you were all suited and booted and ready to go.

The pilot pushed the glass carapace of the cockpit up with difficulty, leaping up out of it and onto the ground in one swift movement. Lena and Symmetra followed him and you exited last, astonished at the difference that the lack of gravity presented. Every step you took felt slow and pressured, while jumps sent you flying high into the air, almost uncontrollably. The four of you slowly walked towards the colony ahead of you, uninterrupted by any sort of wind or drag at all. It was such a remarkable feeling to walk in a place so barren. Finally you reached a small airlock which seemed to be sealed from the inside. With no controls on your side of the door, Symmetra used her photon projector to burn a hole where the control panel would be on the other side, causing the doors to slide open. A faint alarm blared, declaring that the airlock was open, before safety protocols forced the doors to close again mere seconds after you made it in. The airlock pressurised before a small green light pinged next to you, indicating that it was safe to remove your spacesuits. You each shared a brief nod before removing your suits once more. You slowly moved through the interior door and hung the suits alongside some others that were nearby, just in case. However, as you inspected the spacesuits that were already in the facility, you noticed a Talon symbol printed on each one. You were definitely in the right place.