Chapter 15: A Love That Blinds the Stars

After tea in the posh restaurant, the two of you found yourselves on high spirits, revelling in the pleasures of a temporary retirement.  You strolled out of the mall which was now stifled with people, into the fresh night-time air of LA.  A cool breeze blew through the streets as you put your arm around Lena, the two of you walking down one of the busy streets. 

"Should we take a look at Site B, see how it looks from the outside" you suggested as the pair of you scanned the area for activities. 

"Sure luv, don't think I've ever taken a proper look at it from street level" Lena replied.  You walked down the paved walkway, struggling to walk next to one another due to the sheer mass of people.  It seemed like everyone was out and about that night, from colourful partygoers queueing outside nightclubs to hooded individuals stood suspiciously in every alleyway.  It was honestly just a normal night in LA but it felt more packed than ever, probably because people were soaking up the summer weather. 

After several minutes, the two of you reached a stone platform suspended above a small green park with perfect views of Site B.  It blended in surprisingly well, built by the same architects who designed the majority of the city's skyscrapers which was exactly what Overwatch had planned.  Even when Site B was first designed, it was built with the hope of blending well with the structures around it, Winston had known that if the need ever rose for it then it would be because the organisation was in some kind of danger.  The main difference between Site B and the other high-rises was the fact that all of its windows were shaded, a practice which wasn't exactly rare among the larger banking towers anyway.

"Huh, it looks surprisingly...normal" Lena commented, taking hold of your hand warmly.

"Guess that's how it's supposed to look, still, kind of comforting to know there's not a massive neon sign with the word 'Overwatch' fixed to the roof" you replied causing her to giggle slightly.

"Yeah, it's also a good job the shuttle up top has an invisibility camo.  Let's just hope nobody decides to make an emergency landing on our roof otherwise they'll get a nasty surprise" she said with a grin.

"Unwitting pilot used land, it wasn't very effective.  Invisible shuttle used explode, unwitting pilot fainted" you stated causing you both to burst out laughing. 

"God, hard to believe we were fighting a skull faced psychopath three weeks ago today.  And now I'm here, with the love of my life" Lena thought out loud.

"Like you said before, doesn't matter where we are, long as we're together we'll be fine" you stated.

"More than fine" she responded quietly, leaning her head on your shoulder.

The pair of you stood there for several minutes, lost in a kind of peaceful trance.  After a little while though, a sinister noise dragged you both back into reality.  You heard a faint scream followed by the near inaudible sound of a threatening man.  The two of you shared a worried look as you turned to a dark alleyway behind you.

"We've gotta check it out" you stated in determination.

"But I haven't got my pulse pistols luv, and I can't use my powers with this accelerator" Lena replied, a rare slice of fear in her voice. 

"Here, take this" you said, handing her the shorty which you had hidden in your pocket.

"Where have you been hiding this?" she asked, gripping it tightly.

"Jacket pocket, where did you think?!" you said as she shrugged her shoulders with a sheepish smile.

"God knows with you" she commented.

"Let's get going" you stated as the two of you moved towards the alleyway.

The two of you stacked up on the alley, standing cautiously on either side of its entrance.  You peered around the corner to see two figures in the shadows, that of a man and a woman.  The man seemed to be holding some sort of sidearm while the woman was crouching fearfully, presumably scared of the weapon.  You stroked your chin in thought, scanning the area as you'd been taught to by Jack.  As a hard-core soldier, one of Jack's most used pieces of military knowledge was examining your surroundings and using it to your advantage.  Your eyes fleeted across the alleyway until you noticed the handle of some sort of baseball bat sat depressingly in an open steel bin. 

"Lena, I need you to cover me" you said in a whisper, causing her to nod with determination.  You gave her a smile, knowing that you'd be safe with her at your back.  With the flick of a hand, the two of you simultaneously moved into the alley, taking cover behind bins and piles of black plastic garbage bags.  Raising two fingers, you silently told Lena to wait there to which she nodded assuredly.  You took a deep breath before moving into the open, using the dim light to your advantage.  Creeping in the darkness, you finally reached the bat after several tense seconds.  The reason for all your trouble was the fact that you were supposed to be a hero, sure you could just shoot him but he was hardly a terrorist or undead sociopath, he deserved a fair trial and that was what you were going to do.  Your fingers wrapped around the handle of the baseball bat, gripping it comfortably as you silently retrieved it from the bin.  You then moved a little closer to the mugging and listened in for a second.

"Seriously lady, give me the damn purse or I will blow your brains out!" the man said intimidatingly.

"Alright alright, I'm getting it.  Just please don't shoot me, I have a little boy" she replied in a flickering voice, rummaging desperately through the belongings in her handbag.  You gave a quick smile before creeping behind the man.  You tapped on his shoulder and grinned at the look of confusion on his face.

"Seriously mate, drop the damn gun or my friend will blow your brains out" you said calmly in a mocking tone.  Lena revealed herself from the shadows, aiming the shorty up at the man's head.  The mugger, in a state of shock, took a few seconds looking between you and Lena as his brain tried to process just what was going on.  He then quickly raised his pistol, aiming it up at Lena as swiftly as he could.  But you were a fraction of a second quicker, slamming on the back of his head with the butt of your baseball causing him to flop to the ground in an unconscious state.  You took one look at the rudimentary weapon in your hand before tossing it aside.

"So uncivilised" you commented with a grin.  As Lena walked up, you gave the woman a hand up and smiled at her warmly.

"Your friend will be sleeping for a while, call the cops, use this number here, it'll get you through straight away.  Have a nice evening" you said swiftly before backing up.

"Wait! I recognise you two, you're...you're from Overwatch" she said in shock. 

"Must be mistaken" Lena said blankly as she joined you, walking out of the alley.  The two of you couldn't help but chuckle at the complete confusion that they'd left the poor woman in.  You returned to the stone platform and both looked at one another in curiosity. 

"So what do we do now luv?" Lena asked.

"I have an idea" you replied, looking up at the distant hills.

It didn't take long to reach your destination, somewhere truly magical to spend the later part of the night, Griffith Observatory.  You sat inside, looking up at a glass roof which perfectly showed the beauty of the stars.  With a little persuasion, you had persuaded the night-guard to let the two of you in, sharing the main complex to yourselves.  You shared a look of tranquillity as you stared into each other's eyes, finding much more interesting things in those pools of light than the millions of stars in the sky. 

"Do you sense it?" you asked curiously.

"What luv?" she asked in reply.

"The feeling that something big is gonna shatter all of this soon" you stated.

"I'd call you paranoid but...you're probably right, but together we can face anything, I can face the whole damn world as long as I have you by my side Y/N.  So whatever we can feel coming, we shouldn't fear, it'll just be a more fast-paced chapter in our lives" Lena responded, making a smile appear on your face.

"Doubt I'll ever stop saying I love you" you commented, cupping her cheek.

"And I doubt I'll ever stop feeling that love" she replied, the two of you sharing a passionate kiss as the stars put on a show above you.

A/N – This chapter is slightly shorter but that's because I'm hoping to get back into the action a bit more in the next chapter.  There've been a few sections of peace but this is Overwatch so there's gotta be some tense moments too.