Chapter 17: Shock

Pain. That was just about all you could feel right now. If this was feeling. You found yourself in a blackness, a seemingly unending shadow. In the distance you could feel your throat, it was dry, like the last dying patch of grass in a disappearing oasis. Your eyes were too painful to open, your eyelids like heavy weights that dragged you down into an endless sleep. It was many hours before you woke. Or perhaps a few moments. It was impossible to tell in this world of darkness. But at last your eyes opened, opened to a blinding light.

Slowly, with tentative caution, you opened your eyes and found yourself squinting beneath a harsh white light. After several seconds of a pained expression upon your face, someone, a figure moved the light away and stared at you with a little shock. For a few moments you were still blind but then noticed it was a woman, a little younger than yourself, dressed in traditional nurse robes. She had long flowing brown hair curling down to her shoulders and wore a concerned expression on her face. You slowly craned your neck around, scanning the whitewash room around you as the nurse continued to act speechlessly. Wherever you were, it was definitely some sort of medical facility.

"Wh-where?" you managed to blurt out, your throat feeling like it had not been watered in months.

"Uh, sorry...sorry about that. I'll get you a drink, sorry" the nurse stuttered, causing your still waking brain to wonder why she was so surprised. After a few seconds she returned with a plastic cup full of water, presumably from a water dispenser nearby. You took it gratefully and gulped it down in one, the water hitting you like a train of healing. One long sigh of relief later, you felt ready to face the situation and faced the nurse.

"Where am I?" you asked slowly, putting far too much care into articulating your words.

"Um, the NPD infirmary, Numbani Police Department that is" she replied causing your brain to slowly go back and try to catalogue its most recent memories.

"The museum" you stated with shock, memories beginning to flood back to you.

"Yes...that's where we found you" the nurse answered.

Flashback:

Your eyes blinkered open just in time to see Doomfist running out of the room. Several bullets followed him from those who recognised his foul countenance from his previous reign of terror. A group of police officers, garbed in the typical lime green uniform of Numbani, quickly entered the scene, aiming their weapons up at where the enemy had fled. Though you could barely hear their words over the deafening silence, you saw the officer order several men to pursue Doomfist while she and the others looked to you. They gathered around Lena first and then looked down at you, shouting desperately with horrified looks. You could only discern a few words; "medic", "defibrillator" and "hurry". It was then that you fell again, just in time to see Lena lifted onto a white stretcher beside you.

Flashback end:

"Lena! Where is she?!" you shouted in concern, fully aware of what was going on now.

"Calm down, she was fine" the nurse answered while supportively putting a hand on your shoulder.

"Was?" you asked suspiciously, dread filling your gut.

"There's something you need to know" she said in a serious tone.

"Please just tell me" you said softly and quietly, a tear beginning to well in your eye.

"Well, the museum wasn't exactly last night. Or even recent. I'm afraid you've been in a coma due to the injuries you sustained that night" the nurse explained, trying to be as careful as possible with her wording. You couldn't believe your ears. Here you were expecting to hear some awful news about Lena, you hadn't even considered the fact that you could be the victim. It was a blow. Your heart began to feel heavy in your chest as a million and one questions filled your mind. The most important one was quickly vocalised.

"How long?" you croaked in fear.

"Five months, give or take a week. I'm sorry this must be a blow, honestly with your lack of family, the medical team were planning to turn off the life support in a few days. We'd given up hope" the nurse said in sympathy.

"Never mind that, what happened to Lena?" you asked, less concerned about yourself now.

"She recovered within a week, and after a brief court inquiry due to her and your involvement at the museum, you were both let off free, if you were ever to recover that is" the nurse explained, filling you with the idea of a new mission. You had to find Overwatch. And more importantly Lena. God knew where she'd be. God knew if Site B was even where the organisation was based anymore, five months is a hell of a long time.

You pulled yourself up conclusively, groaning as you slid out of the covers, much to the nurse's concern. You looked to your arm and pulled out several syringes and heart monitors that were stuck to you, tearing off the plasters with a newfound fervour.

"Wait! You've only just woken up!" the nurse said in shock as you stood up with difficulty. Luckily they hadn't dressed you in the creepy hospital robes, instead allowing you to rest in a bright white T-Shirt and jeans. You spotted your typical jacket hung on a peg near your bed and quickly retrieved it, throwing it over your shoulders as the nurse followed behind worriedly.

"Please sir, at least let me examine you!" she said desperately. You turned to her with an enigmatic smile, remembering words that Jack had once said to you, such a short time ago and yet so many months past.

"There's a damn good reason I don't have a desk job, I need to find Lena. Thank you for your help" you said, walking out of the hospital room and leaving the nurse with her mouth agape. There was no doubt about it, you couldn't leave Lena, for all she knew you were dead. But as an old friend once said, heroes never die.

A/N – Sorry for the short chapter, wanted it to have impact though. Hope you enjoy!