Chapter 11: Nepal

It was early in the morning, too early. You were stood with a large rucksack slung over your shoulder alongside Genji, waiting for Lena to arrive. Surprisingly, despite her time-travelling capabilities it appeared that she had major punctuality issues. The two of you were stood in the middle of the base's main hangar, the first glimpse you'd gotten of Overwatch and perhaps the last if you couldn't rally the heroes. Normally a hive of activity, now there were only a few cleaners and engineers, clearing up debris from the attack and repairing damaged vehicles. Genji was stood silently, presumably with his eyes closed behind the mask, in some sort of meditative state. You, unfortunately, were not as patient and almost jumped every time the automatic doors opened. The last few times it had just been random soldiers or pilots who gave you rather odd looks as you stared intently at the doors. This time however it was a familiar face, Winston. Not who you were waiting for but a welcome friend nonetheless.

"Ah Y/N, I'd hoped I'd find you here. I have something for you" he stated, outstretching his large arm and presenting a pair of jet black gloves with what appeared to be holographic keyboards and monitors built into them.

"Thank you, what exactly are they?" you asked while pulling them on. They were obviously a perfect fit as Winston was such a flawless scientist.

"In essence a hacking tool, microcomputers are built into each glove. On the surface they appear perfectly average fingerless black gloves but if you press the small button on the inside of of the index finger then a hologram of a keyboard appears, allowing you to hack pretty much anything in seconds. I've only ever made one pair of these because they require some very rare materials but right now we need all the help we can get. And after your efforts in the attack I truly do believe you're worthy of them" he explained with interest. That last part truly warmed your heart, up until now you'd almost felt like a tag along in a world of heroes. Now you were beginning to feel like part of it.

"Thank you, they'll definitely be put to great use" you replied.

"Glad to hear it, now good luck to all of you. Remember Y/N, if you have any spare time while you're on the move then try decrypting the information you stole. I have a feeling it'll be vital by the end. I'll see you in LA, hopefully with Zenyatta in tow" Winston said, and with that he lumbered out of the room. A few seconds later, Lena ran into the hangar and began apologising continuously about how late she was. Genji simply smiled, now feeling comfortable enough to remove his mask in front of the two of you, giving you the impression that she was late on more than one occasion.

"If we're all ready, should we get going?" you interjected after about the fourth 'sorry'. Your companions nodded and the three of you walked into the back of a dropship, its doors closing behind you as it slowly lifted off in a cloud of smoke. With that, you were on your way to somewhere entirely new.

You reached Nepal within a three hour journey which was made absolute hell by Lena's constant repetition of 'are we there yet?' But despite her being annoying, you found it strangely endearing and adorable at the same time. Upon reaching the Shambali Monastery which Zenyatta called home, the doors to the dropship opened outwards allowing a chilling wind to blow into its interior.

"This is gonna be fun" you muttered as you stepped out into the snow, deciding on an arctic jacket and thermals instead of your usual leather jacket getup. Lena too had changed from her usual outfit, now wearing a similar jacket to you, except for the colour which was orange as oppose to black, and a pair of brown combat trousers. Genji, of course, was wearing his armour and made constant remarks and jokes about how warm he was within his central heated combat suit. You heard Lena mutter something about someone called 'Mei' being insane for loving the cold so much as the three of you trudged towards a small village ahead of you. The village was remote and more of a hamlet really, with a single large building situated at its peak on the top of the highest mountain. The Shambali Monastery.