Chapter 2

~Anna's POV~

I grabbed my phone and a jacket and tossed it onto my bed before slowly opening my door. I took a short walk around, towards the bathroom so I can use that as an excuse if I get caught. I didn't see anyone on my way to the bathroom so it should be all good.

I walked back to my room and closed the door. I told Mrs. Mary that I find it comforting to sleep with the door locked once an a while, so I can just lock my door. I slipped on my jacket and stuffed my phone in my back pocket before locking the door and opening my window.

Sense I'm on the second floor, it took a bit of effort but I got it. There is a tree not even a foot away from my window, so that helps a lot.

I climbed down the tree, being careful not to hit branches on people's windows, and trying to stay out of sight as much as I can just in case.

I walked down the dark sidewalk by myself on the way to the park. Every now and then a car would drive by and sometimes a little bit of water would be splashed on me, but sometimes you have to make choices. I continued on the sidewalk until I got to the park entrance.

When I walked into the park, it took a minute for my eyes to adjust, but the first thing I saw was Jay. I ran up to him and hugged him.

"I missed you." Jay mumbled into my hair.

"I missed you too." I smiled, while my face was buried into his chest.

If your thinking this is a 'moment' then think again. Jay is like a brother to me. An older brother, so you can turn your mind around and go the other direction with it.

"So what's up at the hell hole?" Jay asked, pulling away.

"Same old, same old."

"Are you still getting weird looks and stuff?"

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"When's the last time?" Jay asked. He's always been super interested in this topic. He wants to protect me from the world, so I won't turn back to old times.

"Just earlier today." I said, avoiding eye contact.

"Who?"

"The adults coming to adopt, the kids. Everyone. They were laughing at me and making jokes too." I mumbled the last part. I don't really want Jay to know, but if I don't tell him he will still find out and then just get upset with me.

"They need to stop." He said angrily.

"It doesn't matter anymore. I'm 15 I can get out of there soon."

"Are you saying you don't want to get out sooner?"

"No, no. I want to, but nobody wants me, and this way I can just move out when I graduate." I said.

"Listen to me Anna. That is like 3 years. You can't live there that much longer." Jay said, making my look at him.

"Well there isn't anything you can do about it." I said.

"My family can adopt you. There, problem solved." Jay gave me a hopeful look.

"I'm sorry Jay, but I can't do that to you guys. Don't worry, it will work out. If I'm meant to get out of their before I'm 18 I will." I gave him a sad smile and started walking away.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"I have to get back soon before anyone can knock on my door."

"But they know that you sleep with your door locked sometimes." He grabbed my arm.

"Yeah, but they also know I'm not a very heavy sleeper and I would wake up if they were to just give a gentle knock on the door." I said, pulling my arm from his grip. "I have to go, but we can talk later." I turned back around and headed towards the adoption center.

"Fine, bye." Jay called.

"Bye." I called back, turning to see him waving at me to I returned the gesture.

~Time Skip~

When I got back onto the adoption center property I walked to the back to find the tree. When I got back there I quickly ran to the tree and began climbing. Just like last time I had to be careful not to be seen if someone where to look out their window.

I crawled back through my window, then closed and locked it. I pulled the curtains shut and then took my jacket off and threw it on my chair. I changed into some pajamas and hopped in bed. I curled into a little ball before I let sleep take over.