Chapter III

“Oh, man! We made it! Can you imagine what will McGonagall say to us?” Jamie asks, perspiring. 

“Thank you for that assessment Mr. Lockhart! Perhaps it would be more useful if I transfigured Mr. Goldfaber and yourself into a pocket watch. That way one of you might be on time.” Professor McGonagall, the Transfiguration teacher, says to us. 

“We got lost.” I tell him. 

“Then maybe a map? Come on. Sit down, copy your lecture. We’ll have a test next meeting.” 

“Woah. Professor McGonagall sure is a strict teacher!” Jamie whispers as we walk to our next class, Potions. 

“There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few who possess the predisposition. I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I show you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death. Then again maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough to not pay attention. Mr. Goldfaber, our new celebrity. Tell me what would I get if I added root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood? You don't know? Well let's try again. Where Mr. Goldfaber would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?” 

“I don’t know, sir.” I answer.

“And what is the difference between a monkwood and a wolfsbane?” Professor Anguis continues. 

“I don’t know sir.” I tell him. 

“You don’t know! He doesn’t know!” Professor Anguis says making the students to laugh, forcibly.

“Such pity. Fame doesn’t have it all, Mr. Goldfaber, it doesn’t have it all.” Anguis says. “Okay get your books and mesmerize me about what you know on potions!” he instructs. 

“William Lockhart! I sense that you are the great grandson of Gilderoy, my friend. Come show me your abilities!” 

“Okay, sir. Um, Eye of a rabbit, harm string hum, turn this water into rum!” William shows off. The water he is using does not turn into rum, instead it turns into frogs. The students run from everywhere. “Mr. Lockhart! Clean this up instantly!” Anguis says very angrily.

“Right up, sir. I did it intentionally,” William said with a giggle.

“Good afternoon, children!” Madame Perla Hooch, daughter of Rolanda Hooch and the Flying Teacher, greets the students. 

“Good afternoon as well, Madame Hooch.” The students greet back.

“I want you all to call me Madame Hooch and not Prof. Hooch, okay? It is a tradition on our family. Welcome to your first flying lesson. Well what are you waiting for? Everyone step up to the left side of their broomstick. Come on now, hurry up. Stick your right hand over the broom and say up.” Madame Hooch orders.

a The students, excited to fly, followed the instruction of Madame Hooch. 

“Up, up, up!” Selene Wordmess says. 

“Up, you foolish piece of stick. Up!” Drake Furvus, grand son of Draco Malfoy, commands. 

“With feelings children, with feelings!” Madame Hooch instructs, pretty much impressed with what the students are doing. 

“Up, up. It won’t! Up!” I exclaim. 

“Up, up, up!” Daphne shouts. “Woah. I’m flying? I am flying!” Daphne says impressed. “Oh my goodness, Audric! Look at Ceurbinn Ecstatique. He’s soaring!” Jamie says with awe.