Chapter V

I wake with a start to my housemates smiling at me and greeting me a happy birthday. 

I feel happy but at the same time lonely because of the fact my parents are gone. I go for a bath and lie on my bed again. 

“Hey, Audric! Why don’t you get up and let’s celebrate. It’s your birthday, you know!” Jamie says. 

“I don’t know, Jamie. My parents are gone, The Dark Duke killed him." I say, crying. 

“Now, don’t worry. I know they are happy watching you up there. They’ll be sad knowing that you’re not happy here in Hogwarts. Cheer up! Happy birthday!” Daphne says. 

“Yeah, Audric. Come on, let’s go to the Main Hall and celebrate!” Denise agrees.

As we walk to the Main Hall, the students are running from every corner. Prefects are holding their wands against the black figures on the sky.

Out of nowhere, a voice shouts, “Audric Goldfaber! Grandson of the well-renowned Harry Potter, I have came here to kill you.”

Then, Charles Legrotatum shouts, “Audric! Lord Mortemus wants you! Fight!”

"Who do you want? You’ll be cursed to the Depths of Depherio, Lord Mortemus! The child is still in shock of what you have done to his parents. Now, go!” Professor Dumbledore commands.

“I will not go. Give me Audric Goldfaber! His grand father killed my father!” Lord Mortemus hesitates. The students all together say a charm, an unbearable charm that gives the recipients a pain that will last forever, The Cruciatus Curse. By the instance, Lord Mortemus and his companions suffer and are brought to the Depths of Depherio, a place where the Death Eaters are imprisoned. 

“Audric, happy birthday,” Professor Dumbledore greets me. “Now, why don’t you go to my office. There is a gift waiting for you there.” “What does he want, sir?” I ask. 

Before Dumbledore can continue, Jamie pulls me and says, “Come on, Audric. Let’s go to his office.”

While we are walking on the corridors, Denise hears something which says, “Audric Goldfaber, you’ll pay for this." 

She asks, “Who’s that? Jamie?” 

“What? No.” Jamie replies. 

“Then, who?” Denise asks with curiosity. 

“I think it’s Lord Mortemus.” Daphne predicts.

“You shall not say that, Miss Blueflower. Just like his father, his name is so much cursed that the Wizarding World hates it. Literally.” Professor Sludgewit says. “He wants you, Mr. Goldfaber, he gravely does. He ordered you to be killed. My uncle, Snape, told me in my dreams that someone here in Hogwarts, will kill you. Now, off you go. I have to go to Professor McGonagall, take care.”

He bids farewell.

“Who do you think is he?” Daphne asks.

“I don’t know.” I admit. 

We arrive at Professor Dumbledore’s office. Fawkes, Prof. Dumbledore’s pet Phoenix, with Pedlum give me a box with the bane AUDRIC handwritten on it. The writings are familiar, it’s my father’s. I open the box and there’s a letter. I read it:

“Dear Audric, Happy Birthday! I’ve been thinking about this letter for weeks now, and I still don’t really know what I’m going to write. I know there are things I need to say to you, things I want you to know, but I’ll be damned if I can figure out what should come first. So, forgive me for rambling. It’s difficult to watch you get ready to leave home. You have been nothing but a source of pride for your mother and me for your entire life, and we’re delighted to see you begin the next chapter, and move on to bigger and better and more exciting things. Life is really just beginning for you, as a wizard and it’s exhilarating, and frightening, and promising all at once. But it’s hard, too. You encounter different storms in your life but remember to hold on to what you believe. Even though you already know we’re gone, it will be different. You really are a young man now, and our relationship with you will never be the same. That’s okay. It’s not supposed to be the same. But, for your mom and me, it will be a bittersweet transition. Good bye, Audric. Best wishes, Mum and Dad.”

I close the letter and begin to cry. Altogether my friends tell me, “It's okay. We understand.”

I guess it is a good night sleep for everyone else, but not to me.