Chapter 9

I heard shouting from down the hall. “Oh come on, Alfie. Don’t be rude!”

“It’s Sunday, Miranda” A male voice which was obviously Alfie yelled. “This is my last day off before I have to go back and teach tomorrow. All I want to do is sleep!”

Out from down the hall came the lady, we now know as Miranda, dragging her husband by his wrist. He sluggishly sat down and instantly turned his head towards Liam. As he did this, Miranda walked back to the bedroom. By the sound of it she had shut the door and started to watch T.V.

“So, anything hot happen since I’ve seen you last?” Alfie asked. My face started to burn, but Liam butted in.

“Yeah. An oven mit fell onto my stove and my kitchen caught fire.” He said, surprisingly calm.

“I warned you, but even so, there was nothing to do about it.” He said moving into a relaxed position on in the chair. Liam looked down at his hands.

“I’m sorry I was so rude to you. I believe you now.” I was proud of him. I thought he would explode, but I guess not.

“Thank you, Leroy-”

“Liam.”

“Whatever.”

“So Alfie, have you had any other visions yet?” I tried to slip in casually.

“Well, there was one..” That was enough to scare Liam. He grabbed my arm.

“What was it about?” I asked calmly.

Alfie took a deep breath before looking into my eyes. “It was about you, Ellia.” Liam started hyperventilating and intertwined his fingers with mine.

“Liam! Calm down. Deep breaths,” I instructed. “What happened?” Even I was nervous to hear the answer.

“I don’t know how to explain this. I only saw glimpses, and it was from the point of view of Ellia. I couldn’t see your face, but I knew it was you.” I leaned in intently. “There were people standing all around you. And they threw you in a bag. Ellia, I think someone is trying to kidnap you.” Liam tightened his grip on my hand so hard it hurt. A look of pure pain and horror flashed across his eyes. For a second I thought he was going to cry.

“No!” He shouted no one in particular. “This can’t happen! I won’t let it!”

“Who would want to kidnap me anyway?” I questioned. I tried to pull my hand out of Liam’s grip while, but he was too strong. Alfie then continued speaking.

“I can’t remember, Ellia.” He said. “I only saw glimpses. It was like a scratched DVD skipping back and forth between scenes. All of the faces were a blur.” Liam stood up and shook Alfie’s hand.

“Thank you for informing us.”

“You’re welcome, young man.” I waved goodbye.

“Goodbye, Mr. Talier.” I said. “Goodbye Mrs. Tailer!” I shouted down the hall.

As I drove back to my house I noticed Liam staring at me through my peripheral vision. “What?” I finally asked him.

“What are we going to do, Ellia?”

“What do you mean?” I said while still trying to focus on driving.

“I can try to protect you for as long as I can, but we both know we can only hold it off for so long. All of his other predictions came true. You will get kidnapped!” We came to stop-and-go traffic. I turned to him. His eyes were brimming with tears. “I don’t want to lose you, Ellia.”

“You won’t,” I declared. “Who knows? Maybe I’ll be in a play. Or a movie? I mean why not, right? Alfie said it was only glimpses. He can’t see the whole future.” Liam managed a small smile.

“I guess you’re right,” he said. We sat in silence for a few minutes before the traffic loosened up and we were able to go.

I pulled the car into my driveway and Liam and I got out. When we walked inside, I immediately sat on the couch. Liam plopped down next to me.

“How about a... movie?” I asked meekly,  with no other ideas in mind.

Liam looked into my brown eyes and said, “I have a better idea.” Then he leaned over and kissed me. This time it totally shocked me, even though I expected we’d kiss again sooner or later. He pulled away. “Are you okay?” I started to cry.

“But what if you’re right? What if it’s not a movie or a play. What if I-I…” Liam pulled me into a tight hug. I cried into his shoulder. He stroked my tangled hair.

“You know, if you keep crying on me, I’ll have to take my shirt off,” he said, almost a whisper. I uttered a small giggle. I lifted my head and sniffled.

“Oh, no,” I said softly while pulling away. “Your shirt. There’s mascara all over it. I’m so sorry. I guess you have to take it off now.”

“So I was right this morning,” Liam said arrogantly. He then reached down and pulled his shirt off. I couldn’t help the smile across my face. “You feel better now?” I nodded my head and re embraced him for a hug. We stayed there like that for what felt like eternity before Liam asked me a question. “Can I put my shirt on now?”   

“No.” I joked before it picking it up off the floor and handing it to him. I stood up. “I’m going to bed.”

“Don’t!” Liam shouted. “I can’t let you in your room alone knowing you could be kidnapped.” I sat back down then crossed my arms.

“Is this just some excuse for you to sleep with me again?”

“I don’t know. Is it working?”

“Maybe.”

“Then yes. It is some excuse.” Liam patted the space in front of him after he lied down under the blanket. I couldn’t resist his charming smile and I let him wrap his arms around me. Liam’s body was so warm it made me forget about the chilly weather outside.

Liam moved his head so his face was over mine. I could feel him breathing against my cheek. Then he leaned in even closer to my ear. “I love you. And I would never let anything bad happen to you.” He whispered so soothingly.

“I love you, too.” I whispered back just before I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

Big thanks to Aly, without whom this story wouldn't be as good. Thanks again