Chapter 19

I sat at home scrolling through the Netflix television shows. Seen that, seen that, hated that, never watching that again.

I was bored out of my mind without Ellia. I secretly hoped in the back of my mind that her brother would bail on her again. I always liked being the hero that would come in to save her. I also hate the idea of Ellia being alone with anybody but me, she could get hurt. I picked up my phone and started scrolling through my texts with her, but it only made me miss Ellia more. Maybe I should text her.

Just as this thought flowed through my mind, my phone buzzed, indicating that I had received a new text. It was from Ellia. I opened the text as quickly as I could. It was late, and I had no idea what to expect. When my eyes flashed over the only word on the screen, my heart nearly stopped. The word was ‘Help’.

I went into panic mode. I jumped up and grabbed my coat and car keys, but wait. Where would I go? Jason’s. Ellia had given me his address after I firmly demanded it, I had to know where she was going with a man she hasn’t seen in years, even if he was Ellia’s brother.

***

My fist made contact with the wooden door with a loud BANG. No one answered, I didn’t expect them to at 11 o’clock at night. I heard shuffling coming from inside. I knocked again.

“Hold your freaking horses, dude!” I took a step back. The door slowly opened with a creek. I could instantly tell he was Ellia’s brother, same facial structure and hair. Jason looked tired and depressed. “Hi.” He said in a very deflated and grumpy voice.

“I’m Liam.” I proclaimed, puffing out my chest to looked more intimidating. “Where’s Ellia?” Jason looked like he was trying to hold back tears.

“I’m so sorry! I told her to leave it alone... I tried to keep her out of it!” I frowned, then took a step forward. Jason looked up at me just as I yanked on his collar. I shoved him up again the wall next to his door and the floorboards shook.

“WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY GIRLFRIEND!?” I was furious. Jason trembled with fear.

“Girlfriend!?” Jason shook his head to brush off the comment. “Nothing! I did NOTHING!” Jason assured. He kicked me in the shin, hard. I dropped him. “Let’s just talk this out calmly! I’m just as worried as you are. She may be your girlfriend, but she’s my sister!” I looked down at my feet. I did feel bad now.

“Sorry, I’m just, just worried, but I guess you figured that already,” I said.

“No kidding,” Jason mumbled. He straightened out his clothes and lead me to a room where we could talk. I sat down opposite Jason in a red bean bag chair. The room was painted dark blue and covered with CDs, musical instruments, and magazines. Stuffed in the corner was a small T.V. that looked looked it was way beyond getting repairs.

“What happened to Ellia?” I tried to ask calmly through my gritted teeth. Jason took a deep breath.

“Well I’ll just start from the beginning. I’ve lived in Las Vegas since I graduated from college. And I have just a teeny tiny addiction to gambling.” I raised an eyebrow. “Okay, so I owe someone $2000. But I don’t have a job, and if I don’t have a job I don’t have-”

I threw my hands into the air to cut him off. “I get it! What does this have to do with Ellia?”

Jason sheepishly looked at the white carpet that covered the floor. “I told them my sister would give me the money.” I stood up and tried my best to hold back my rage. But I couldn’t do it and punched the wall. I hit it so hard I’m surprised I didn’t make a dent. “Dude! Seriously?! Why does Ellia date all the guys with anger issues? Her last boyfriend broke my cell phone!” It was odd to think about Ellia dating other people before me, but she wasn’t the first girl I’ve dated, either.

“Did you gives these thugs her name and address as well?” I asked. Jason put his hand on my shoulder to try to comfort me.

“These guys do their research. They found her name and picture within days. They kept blackmailing me.” Jason started to cry. “I tried to talk to Ellia, but- but.” I looked into his green eyes.

“We’ll get her back.”

Aly did the thing to help make the thing :)