Chapter 15

“What is it?” Liam asked, rushing out of the kitchen.

“There-there’s a-a shadow,” I stammered. Liam flicked a switch that illuminated a portion of the room. A raccoon’s head popped up over the window sill.

“Oh, no. So scary.” Liam joked and mockingly waved his hands around.

“Come on, Liam. We were watching a horror movie.” I hit his chest with the back of my hand. “It’s not funny.”

“No, it’s very funny.” I gave him a look. “Oh come on, Ellia. You tease me, I tease you.” I crossed my arms.

“It wasn’t the same.”

“You did it to me first. But seriously, your face was-.”

“Hey!”  

“I was only going to say that you look so adorable when you’re scared” Liam held my face in his hands and leaned forward. I pulled away. “What? You don’t wanna give me a kiss?” I scrunched up my face and backed away, but he started chasing me around the couch. “Just a little kiss! One kiss!” Liam wouldn’t stop so I did; I stopped so hard Liam ran into my back. I turned around and kissed him before Liam could tell what was going on. “I knew you’d warm up to me.” Liam did a cheesy hair flip.

I walked to the front door and put my shoes on. “I think I should leave before it gets any darker outside.” Liam kicked his feet and looked down.

“Do you have to go? You haven’t even had cupcakes.” I opened the door then waved to him.

“Save me some for me.” I walked out of the front door.

***

“Morning.” Liam said as I opened the door. We decided to move up our date, and we moved it up to today. It was supposed to be tomorrow, but Jason canceled again, so Liam asked if I wouldn’t mind if we moved it up. I didn’t.

Liam put his arm out and I took it in mine. “You look nice.” He complimented. I was wearing a bright yellow sundress with a jean jacket over it, along with my black converse.

“I didn’t know what to wear. You never told me where we’re going.” Liam didn’t respond but opened the car door for me.

“You’ll see when we get there. I think you’ll really like it though.” Liam started to pull out of the driveway. “You’re really lucky to have a boyfriend like me.”

“Ooh yes.” I said sarcastically. “Who doesn’t want a boyfriend who compliments himself more than his girlfriend does.” We continued our joking until the short car ride had come to an end. I walked out of the car and met up with Liam who was already standing by the entrance. The place was called ‘Sk8ers’: a roller skating rink. “Liam... I don’t know how to skate.”

The lady at the front booth handed us each green tickets. “Good thing I’m a pro. Don’t worry it’s easy once you get the hang of it.” As soon as we walked in the second set of doors it smelled like sweat. The music was blasting too loud for me to hear anything Liam was trying to say. He lead me towards the teenage boy handing out rental skates.

“Size 7.” I told him as loudly as I could.

“Size 13.” Liam screamed. The boy took our shoes and gave us our skates. We put them on. Liam stood up and held out a hand. I took it and tried to stand, but I slipped.

“Are you okay?” Liam helped me up. I sat down on the bench.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I stood up on my own, and this time I didn’t fall. We made our way over to the rink.