Chapter 27: The Balloon Incident

This book is very close to ending and there is going to be a second book, but before this one ends, there is a short, one-chapter story between Flame and Phoenix which will be referenced later on.

Also, after the epilogue of this book, I will be adding an Ask page, so that you can comment your questions and they will be answered.

17th September 2013

It was Phoenix's 18th birthday, and like any best friend would, Flame had spent all her time preparing everything for him to make sure that his party went perfectly.

His younger cousin, Spark, had arrived two days ago. Phoenix hadn't seen her for eleven years, so naturally, their reunion was very emotional for them both.

She was thirteen now, and already taller than Flame at 5'5. Like Phoenix and the rest of their family, she had a Brooklyn, New York accent, which Flame (being British and being in LOVE with American accents) found to be adorable.

Her hair was thick, shoulder-length and a golden blonde color - like the color of honey. Her eyelashes were thick and dark. Her lips were pale pink and her porcelain complexion was flawless.

When she told her cousin that she had a boyfriend, Phoenix was immediately protective of her, and told her that if her boyfriend ever tried to put his hands on her body, he would kick his ass.

Jaws had been distracting Phoenix all morning by taking him outside of the Fire Kingdom, just as Flame had instructed him to do, so that there was no chance of Phoenix walking in while everything was being set up.

Flame had been awake practically all night deciding where each decoration should go, what type of cake should be made, and being absolutely terrified of messing something up and ruining his birthday. So it was safe to say that she was an absolute train-wreck that day.

She had been setting up "Happy 18th birthday" banners all over the castle ever since Phoenix had stepped foot out of the front entrance, but had struggled with finding balloons.

All stores in the Fire Kindom had been out of balloons ever since the last festival marking the anniversary of the end of the war with the Under-Realm. 

"Look in the places you wouldn't expect to find them. Bedside tables and places like that." Spark told Flame, who was anxiously pacing the kitchen and wondering what to do. "My mom  keeps a pack of balloons in the medicine cabinet at my house. Things always end up in strange places. Everybody has random crap in their bedside drawers."

"That's a great idea." Flame answered, pausing in her tracks to ruffle Spark's hair. "Good thinking, kid."

An hour later, and Flame had blown up every single one of the balloons she had found in Phoenix's bedside drawer. She had made an arch with them over the top of Phoenix's bed, and all of his gifts had been placed on his bed.

Flame quickly sent a text to Jaws, letting him know that it was safe to bring  Phoenix home, and within minutes, the two men sauntered back inside the Fire Castle, chuckling about something they had been talking about previously.

"Your stuff is upstairs, Phio." Flame informed Phoenix whilst stifling a yawn.

He smirked, messing with her long, thick hair. "You didn't sleep all that well last night, huh?"

"Nope..." Flame answered honestly, rubbing her eyes. "I've only managed to stay on my feet because I has a couple cups of coffee this morning. And by 'a couple,' I mean about seven."

"I thought you hated the stuff." Phoenix replied. "You tried it once, and you said it tasted like a corpse."

She shrugged. "If it keeps me alive, I'll tolerate it." Then she managed a small, tired smile. "Now go upstairs and open your presents before you get any older, you elderly man. I don't want to have to be buying you a zimmer frame before you get to open the stuff I've got you."

"Haha, very funny." Phoenix said sarcastically with a smile on his face. "Your time will come, my dear British-friend."

He turned to leave the room and make his way towards the staircase when Kate skipped in, grabbing Phoenix's hand and twirling him as she did so.

"You found some balloons, Flame?" Kate asked, grinning.

Kate had looked into Phoenix's bedroom to see how Flame's decoration turned out, and she was very amused with what she saw.

"Yeah. I found 'em in Phoenix's bedside drawer, actually."  Flame answered her. "Spark gave me the idea to look in all the least likely places like bedside drawers, cause everybody has random crap in their drawers."

Phoenix's face turned bright red.

"Flame, were they... were they in a box? Individually wrapped? Clear in color?" He asked, his face the color of a strawberry and his voice somewhat hushed.

"Yeah...Why-" Flame asked, before cutting herself off. 

The realization hit her like a brick wall.

She, Flame Ash Burned, had blown up her best friend's condoms, thinking that they were balloons...

----------

Comment and Vote if you like!

Share and Follow if you really like!

See ya later, my little demons!

-F (admin)