O3 | the magic mirror

I'm standing in front of the mirror in the living room, wiping away my tears

I'm standing in front of the mirror in the living room, wiping away my tears. I already feel very far away.

Looking at my reflection, I feel even angrier. A girl with frizzy, red hair and plain brown eyes is staring back at me. Tears are forever stained on her freckled cheeks — she is weak.

Anger builds up in my body, replacing the sadness. I allowed myself to cry; something I swore that I would never do after Jake.

I'm shaking and breathing heavily. I can't stop. I don't know what's happening, but I feel like throwing up. I need control.

Something within me changes. I clench my fists. I feel my finger nails impale my palm. Then, I do the unthinkable; I punch the mirror.

My intention was to break it, but when I hear no sound, I freeze.

The mirror didn't break as it should of. Instead, my hand goes directly through the glass.

I quickly pull my hand out, and just stare, trying to comprehend what happened. I blink, then rub my eyes.

Suddenly, the voice of a woman singing reaches my ears — so faint, I can barely hear it. It's soft and transcending. It is coming from inside the mirror. I try to make out the words.

"What a goodly thing,
if the children of the world
could dwell together
in peace."

I try to remember where I heard that voice and that song before. It sounds oddly familiar, like a distant memory. I just can't put my finger on it.

I feel compelled. As if some strange force is pulling on my body, wanting to lead me to the source of the voice.

I reach into the body-length mirror once again, and like before, my hand goes through the glass.

Without hesitating, I close my eyes. I take a few steps, and I feel my body go through the mirror. When I open them, I get a glimpse of the most beautiful scenery my eyes have ever seen.

It looks like a meadow. I feel the soft grass beneath my bare feet. There are trees everywhere, and little animals are running around. The sun is shining brightly, and the sky is as clear as can be.

The best thing is that there is no snow.

I begin to walk forwards, smiling widely. It's all so beautiful.

The singing starts again. I try to pinpoint where it's coming from.

"What a goodly thing,
if the children of the world..."

It's coming from my right, and it doesn't sound too far away. I wonder whether I'm dreaming — I probably am.

"...could dwell together..."

Contemplating whether I should find the source of the song, I decide that exploring the meadow will be harmless. I'll probably wake up in my bed soon.

"...in peace."

I follow the voice.

Author's Note: If you're curious about the mysterious song and what it sounds like, listen to the video in the media section! I tried to pick out the creepiest version? ;)

How was this chapter?

Xoxo,
Jay-spell.