O6 | bitterness

London ; December 21st, 2016

The blinding rays of sunlight hit my eyes

The blinding rays of sunlight hit my eyes. I open them, and I see my bedroom ceiling. I yawn.

Suddenly, memories from yesterday come flooding into my mind: the birthday, the fight with my mother, the mirror, the meadow, the song, Rosalanea.

I sit up quickly. I feel something in my hand — it's the rose.

A gasp involuntarily escapes my mouth. It was real? The portal, the Other World, Rosalanea — it's all real!

My eyes frantically travel to the alarm clock on my nightstand. It is 9:00 AM, and I know that Chase and Blair are up.

I rush to get dressed. The entire time, I'm grinning. I have a guardian angel! This is amazing!

Quickly, I put on my shoes and jump to my feet. In record time, I sprint down the stairs and through the back door. I run towards the house neighboring mine. It is identical to my house, and it belongs to the Jones family. Soon, I am at the front door.

I bring up my hand up and ring the doorbell. I hear voices from inside.

"Chase, honey! Can you get the door?" yells Mrs. Jones.

Chase replies, "Sure, Mother!"

Footsteps come my way. I wait for the door to open. When it does, I see Chase standing with his cat in his hands.

He looks bored. "Oh, hey Jenn—"

"You won't believe what just happened!"

He suddenly seems interested. He invites me in, and we go to sit on the kitchen table alongside Blair, as Mrs. Jones makes breakfast.

"Thank you," I say, as Mrs. Jones places a bowl of cereal and a glass of orange juice in front of me. I don't know how to repay her; she's been a better mother to me than my own mother, even though I'm not her responsibility.

She smiles, "No, it's nothing." Mrs. Jones grabs her purse from the kitchen counter. "Alright, I'm going to the grocery store — be good!"

We nod simultaneously. When she leaves, I look at them in all seriousness.

"Do you guys remember Rosalanea?"

Blair looks at me warily. "You mean... your imaginary friend?"

Chase and Blair have been my best friends since we were in diapers. We know everything about each other.

I nod. They urge for me to continue. I take a small breath, then say, "She's real."

Chase's jaw drops and Blair visibly tenses. They're both looking at me as if I'm crazy.

"You're joking, right?" asks Blair. Her voice is so quiet, you can barely hear it. It's really unlike her.

Blair and I have always been troublemakers; we're like partners in crime. She's always loud, while her brother is the opposite of her.

Chase is soft-spoken and mature. He always keeps our antics in check.

I shake my head, and tell them everything that happened last night. The entire time, they're looking at me as if I've lost it. I thought that if I showed them the rose, they'd believe me. But they didn't. I can see it on there faces.

"Jenna. Stop this madness," Chase scowls. He looks very mad.

My heart sinks. "You think I'm crazy?"

Blair suddenly bursts, "Yes! Yes we do, because you're acting exactly like Father before he died!"

There is silence. I feel my body tense.

Mr. Jones commited suicide when I was about five years old. He was perfectly fine, and I remember that he was a very nice man.

But one day, he just lost it. He began to talk about the girl in the mirror, and how she wouldn't leave him alone.

On his 30th birthday, he hung him self.

"I think you should leave..." said Blair.

I stare at them, taking a moment to process what was just said. Bitterness is all I feel.

"Fine."