O9 | police sirens

London ; December 22nd, 2016

I wake up, gasping in my bed

I wake up, gasping in my bed. There is a constant ringing in my ears — I recognize the sound as blaring police sirens, shaking me to the core.

Quickly glancing at the nightstand, I see the time; 00:02 PM.

I jump up to my feet and begin to rush downstairs. What happened while I was gone? Fear begins to course through me as I brace for the worst.

When I reach the bottom of the staircase, I see a police officer talking to my parents. My mother is crying, and my father has a stoic expression. His arm is around my mother in a comforting manner.

Wind hits my body, coming in from the wide-open front door. "Mother? Father?" I croak. "What's going on?"

All heads turn to look at me, and I feel myself shrink. Police officers and other government officials are scattered across the living room. They are all staring at me as if they just saw a ghost. I see the relief on my mother's face when she sees me. She dashes in my direction and throws her arms around me.

"Jenna!" she exclaims, "You're here!"

She doesn't let me go. I feel myself sweating, but in order to avoid suspicion, I say, "Why wouldn't I be?"

My mother pulls away. Tears are streaming down her cheeks. Her usually well-kempt red hair is a mess, but her green eyes are glistening with relief. "When your father and I came home, you weren't in your bedroom," she sobs. "We've been looking for you for the past two hours."

There is silence. I don't know how to respond — they were looking for me? Since when did they care?

My father suddenly speaks. "Where were you?" He seems agitated and angry. Usually, he's completely indifferent, so seeing him in this state honestly scares me. My father is a tall, lean man, always wearing a business suit wherever he goes. He has dirty blond hair and brown eyes. At first sight, anyone can tell that he isn't someone you want to mess with.

I gulp, trying to think up a lie. But my mind is blank.

His voice hardens, "Answer me." I can tell that he's being dead serious.

"I don't remember." I reply quickly, without thinking of the consequences. Instantly, I regret my decision.

The police ask me a few questions, like where I was, or what happened. I kept telling them the same story: that I went to sleep around 9-o'clock, and the sound of police sirens had awoken me. That I don't remember anything that happened in between. I realize how odd my story sounds; but at this point, it's to late to change.

Soon, they leave. My father spares me a glance before angrily stomping off to his bedroom. My mother, on the other hand, is acting strange.

She follows me upstairs to my bedroom. I quickly get changed and slip into my bed. She's simply looking at me with her deep, green eyes from the doorway. I feel uncomfortable underneath her stare, so I face away from her.

My mother has the same eyes as Jake. Jake received all the good features in the family; he got mother's green eyes, and my father's blond hair and flawless skin. I, on the other hand, got my mother's flaring hair and my father's boring, brown eyes.

I turn off my lamp and attempt to sleep. It is almost 1:00 AM in the morning, and I feel extremely tired.

My mother speaks. "Be dressed by eleven," she tells me. Her voice is still slightly shaky. "Your father wants you to see Dr. James in the morning."

I groan under my breath as I hear her walk away. Dr. James is my therapist, and visiting him is such a drag.

I fall asleep, thinking about the day that lays ahead.

Author's Note: There are daily updates on this book, as you can see! Thank you all for the lovely comments! =)

Xoxo,
Jay