O8 | a budding rose

Only moments after I walk through the glass, I find myself in the same meadow from earlier

Only moments after I walk through the glass, I find myself in the same meadow from earlier. I grin ear-to-ear. I absolutely love this place.

I begin to take the same route as before. Admiring the sight, I see a beautiful butterfly nearby. The pattern on its wings is so unique and alluring. They, oddly enough, remind me of Rosalanea.

As if on cue, I begin to hear the singing. I know that she's not too far away.

"What a goodly thing,
if the children of the world
could dwell together
in peace."

I walk towards the sound. Within minutes, I see Rosalane's back. She's sitting in front of a field of budding roses. I gasp as they begin to grow in an unnatural speed.

 I gasp as they begin to grow in an unnatural speed

"Wow..." I say. They're breathtakingly beautiful.

Rosalane speaks. "Plants have feelings, too," she says, as she pats the seat next to her, motioning for me to sit there. As I do, she continues. "That's why, when they hear music, they're happy. So, they're motivated to grow."

I listen, nodding along. "Yeah, I read this study about the effects of music and other external variables on plants earlier."

Rosalanea looks at me, "You'll be an amazing scientist." She giggles.

I find myself smiling widely, feeling heat rush up to my cheeks. I do in fact want to be a scientist when I grow up — I also have hopes and dreams, contrary to popular belief.

"You're like a rose," she tells me.

"How so?"

She turns to face me. She is so beautiful. "Because you are still budding, but I can see that you will be the most gorgeous rose in the batch; outshining every other rose."

I don't know how to respond. I look away. I know that I am blushing madly.

"I love roses," she tells me, continuing to make conversation.

"Is that why you're name is Rosalanea?" I ask.

She giggles. "You're a smart girl. Yes, it means 'Rose'. It's from Hawaii."

I nod, intrigued.

"But it's not my real name."

Tilting my head, I ask, "Then what is your real name?"

"I wish I could tell you, but you won't be able to pronounce it." She looks at me. "The sounds that make it up can't be heard by mortals — only upper-beings can process it." She giggles, "So just call me Rosalanea."

I'm fascinated. Although I never believed in the existence of upper-beings before, this was enough proof for me.

For the next few hours, we just talk. The sun never goes down here, and Rosalanea teaches me about all types of flowers. I truly feel at home here.

I discover that Rosalanea's here to grant all of my wishes. I feel ecstatic, knowing that someone will be there for me.

She also gives me multiple roses. I know that I'll have a bouquet soon. I smile.

Soon, my head is on her lap. She is braiding my hair, while singing the song.

"What a goodly thing,
if the children of the world
could dwell together
in peace."

I find myself falling asleep. I don't want to leave, but I know I have to. I feel Rosalanea's soft lips touch my forehead lightly.

"Goodnight, my rose. See you tomorrow."