Prologue

Kriiiing! Kriiiing!

The doorbell had been ringing loudly for a few minutes now. As much as I didn't want to get up and deal whoever is behind that door, it seemed that I had too. It wouldn't be much of a bother if she was just ringing the doorbell, but she was also banging the door. She was talking about something which was inaudible to me.

"Alright. Alright. I'm up." I jumped out of bed.

With my eyes still closed, I walked towards the door and open it. The loud sound stopped for a moment. I gathered all my strength to lift my heavy eyelids. The second my eyes got a sight of the old lady standing in front of my door, I felt regret rushing. The familiar voice I heard earlier... I should've known.. I shouldn't have opened the door. She threw me a sharp look as she folded her arms over her chest.

"Ah.. Good morning, Ms. Cho." I tried to form a sincere smile out of my nervousness.

She's here for the rent. She's here for the rent.

I'm done. I still don't have money yet.

"And how is the morning good, missy?" She raised a brow. Taking a deep breath before opening her mouth to blast me my morning sermon. "Do I really have to drag myself here early in the morning to ask for your rent payment? It's been two weeks late! When are you—

"Ms. Cho, I will give you my monthly rent fee next week. I haven't met my Mom recently so..."

"Next week?" I nodded. My head bounced up and down like my neck is some kind of spring. Ms. Cho's face didn't seem like she was here to accept another extension for my payment. But still, I hope..

"Aish. Lee Suji. You are really something."

"Pretty please, Ms. Cho~ I'll pay next week. That's a promise."

"Oh you better do, brat. If not, pack your things and find somewhere else to sleep. I'm running a business here not a charity." She rolled her eyes before walking away. She wasn't usually the one who collects the rent fees. I heard that recently Mr. Cho, the owner and her husband, got really sick and have to stay in bed to rest. I hope for Mr. Cho's fast recovery because I don't want to deal with her grumpy wife and her high pitch annoyed voice.

I am Lee Suji and a university freshman. Before I entered the university life, I have been living alone since high school. Well, it may seem that I don't practically live alone because the Joohyun unnie, a university junior who lives near my unit, visits me often. And to be honest, I don't think I am living alone but technically that's my situation. My mother works in a chicken restaurant in Busan and she sends me money for my expenses in school and for my daily life. But recently, things aren't going smoothly in our family and I haven't seen her in a while.

I glanced at the clock and hurried my preparation for school. One thing I am known for in my classes and by my professors is my punctuality. I'm always early for class. My tardiness slip has been clean and I want to maintain it that way.

"Had a rough morning?" Joohyun unnie asked me as I was locking my door. She was holding a bottle of milk while a newspaper in the other. She rarely have early morning classes which I am really jealous of. I hope by next semester my schedule would be a lot better than this one. I'm not a morning person to start with!

The thick clouds were scattered in the sky. Not to the extent to cover the beautiful blue sky but enough to cover the sun. The weather's been extremely nice and I already felt luck coming my way. My lips formed into a smile as I stared at the calming sky.

--

The hallway is filled with students chattering. I smiled at some familiar faces I saw but no one seemed to notice me. Who am I kidding? There's nothing to be surprised or disappointed at. I'm the invisible student who nobody's interested in. I started to head towards the lockers to put my things away first before the first subject.

"Good morning, Suji!" Jaein, my classmate, appeared out of nowhere. Or maybe I just didn't see her.

"Morning, Jane." I responded while placing my books for the afternoon classes and taking out the ones I need. I'm always thankful for having lockers. My spine will break if I keep on bringing heavy books.. which is inevitable.

"Jane, do you know a place who needs a part-time worker?" I threw the question at her, eagerly waiting for an answer. I knew she probably know a couple of stores since they have delivery business.

"Part-timer?" She looked at me. "What happened to your other job?"

I scratched my head before smiling at her. "I got fired."

Jaein didn't seem to know any part-time job vacancies because she's just shaking her head. I need to get a job before the end of this week. I have to get a job.

"Move." A deep male voice coming from behind me startled Jaein and I. Jaein tried to communicate with me through her eyes but unfortunately I did not get what she was trying to say.

I raised a brow while mouthing 'What?' at her. When she realized that it's no use telling me, she grabbed my shoulders and pulled me.

"Oh shit. That's close. Why can't you get what I was trying to say?..."

I stopped and turned to the young man who Jaein was talking about. He didn't seem scary to me but there's something about him. His expressionless face.. The cold gaze.. I was getting busy with my assumptions when I noticed that he was starting to walk towards my direction. I felt the rush in my veins telling me to move but my feet is somehow glued to the floor. I can't move.

"It's rude to stare at someone like that." He told me, almost whispering, as he passed by me. My eyes followed him before taking a turn at the corner.

"Suji!" I heard Jaein screaming my name while frantically motioning me to come over quick. I shook my head to remove my thoughts of the cold guy. He must be just another cold guy in this university. I shouldn't bother.