Chapter Eleven

Percy's PoV

I woke up to the sound of a monster hovering above us. I pretended to remain asleep as I subtly moved my hand in the direction of my sword. The moments of last night returned to my head and I couldn't help but wonder if this could have been avoided. I quickly moved to uncap Riptide and jumped to my feet just in time to swing it at the hellhound.

The only thought that ran through my mind was the curiosity as to why the monster hadn't just killed us all. I frowned softly to myself before moving to shake Will and Malcolm awake. Will woke up almost instantly but even working together, Malcolm was a pain in the ass to wake up. It took us  a full thirty minutes before we even saw him stir and shift awake.

Will looked over at me with a worried look as he moved to sit next to me. I glanced out of the corner of my eye and waited for him to freak out on me because I threatened to leave him and Malcolm behind the day before.

"You sure seem calmer this morning," he said gently, giving his head a gentle tilt.

"Yeah, I guess.." I murmured. "I'm just worried about Nico."

He nodded gently and slowly wrapped me in a friendly hug. I leaned into it slightly but not all the way, not wanting to risk anything if Nico randomly appeared. I had a feeling that that wouldn't happen, but I knew better than to risk those kinds of things. Will pulled away first and gave me a curious look.

"Did you mean it when you said you would leave us and go look for Nico on your own if you had too?" he asked.

I bit my lip awkwardly and shook my head. There was a moment of awkward silence as he waited for me to say more.

"I overreacted..." I mumbled. "I didn't mean that."

He nodded slowly, looking around the spot in the forest.

"Uh, guys? I think something was here to give us a message," Malcolm suddenly said as he appeared behind us.

"What do you mean?" I asked cautiously.

"There was a note on the ground," he said shakily. "From Nico."