mum's best friend

word count 396
copyright © nic berns
note: this one is short, but i like it. and you are luke's daughter

mom's best friend

"Luke, no matter how hard you try, you will never replace my mother!" Y/n shouts at me.

Y/n is my best friend, Nicole's, 12-year-old daughter. Nicole just recently died from brain cancer and I got custody of her daughter.

"Y/n, wait." I chase after her, knocking on her door. "Y/n, can I talk to you?" I open the door slightly.

"What?" She sniffles.

"It's about your parents," I say with a sigh.

"What about my parents?" Her head pops up.

"You're mother didn't want me telling you this until you were older but, I think it's time you know," I sit down next to her on her bed.

"What is it, Luke?" She turns toward me.

"Your mother didn't want you to go to your other mother," I tell her.

"Why didn't she want me to go to Andella?" She asks.

"Because when your mommy found out that your mother had cancer, she couldn't handle it and started drugs." I explain.

"Do you know my father? Mother told me that I have a father too, because they didn't have a sperm-loaner. But she didn't tell me the rest because that's when the doctors called code blue," she says, looking at me with her head cocked to the side.

I hate that she had to watch that, I wasn't there to take her and the doctors were focused on bringing Nicole back so they didn't take y/n out of the room. It sucks that she had to watch her mother go into a coma, basically.

By the time I got there, Nicole was laying in her hospital bed, not moving. And y/n was laying beside her, crying with her head on her mother's chest. Meanwhile, Andella had just been arrested for possession of drugs. But I was more focused on being there for Nicole and y/n because Michael and the other boys couldn't make it, so I was all they had.

"So, your mothers decided they wanted a baby. They wanted Nicole to carry it, and make it so it would at least look like one of them. So your mother called me," I say.

"You had sex with my mother?" She asks with her nose crunched up.

"Yes," I chuckle.

"That means," she looks up at me, "you're my dad!" She hugs me.

"Yea," I chuckle.

end story