expecting

word count 995
copyright © nic berns
note: i'm sorry about all the nuke bemmings content, i write better when it's my name.

expecting

nicole

Entering Starbucks, my friend Sophie and I wait in line behind a tall dirty-blond. He turns around for a quick second and I recognize him. I immediately pull out my phone and start a video. I tap his shoulder and he turns around. "Hey, Luke," I wave sheepishly.

"You a fan?" he asks. I nod in return. "What's your name?" he asks me.

"Nicole," I respond.

It's then his turn and he asks, "Are you getting something?" pointing at the register.

"No. I'm broke. My friend is in line, I'm just standing with her." I explain.

"Can I get you anything?" he asks.

"I've never really been to Starbucks. I don't know what's good," I chuckle

"I'll get you what I normally get. You'll love it, trust me." he then orders our drinks.

"So, what do you think?" he asks as I take a sip of the drink.

"I love it!" I exclaim.

"I knew you would!"

It's been two years since I met Luke Hemmings. We exchanged numbers the day we met and texted every day after that. He even came to my 18th birthday! We ended up hooking up that night, but don't tell my parents.

It's been a month since the hookup and I've come to notice a few things: I haven't had my period yet, my boobs are bigger and sensitive, my hormones are all over the place, and I have to pee every five minutes. So I decided to take a pregnancy test. Positive. I took another one. Positive. Took another one. Positive. I then took the whole box and they were all positive.

I started to freak the fuck out. I took out my phone and dialed Luke's number. "Hey, Nic!" he exclaims.

"Luke, we need to talk."

"What's wrong, Nicole?" he asks worried.

"We need to talk in person. Meet me at my apartment tomorrow."

"You want me to fly all the way to Virginia from LA just to talk?" he questions.

"Yes?" I say more as a question than an answer.

"OK. You know I'd do anything for you," he hums.

Sitting on my couch with my head in my hands, I wait for the door to open. When it does I sit up and wipe away a tear. "Thank God you're here!" I exclaim, running over and hugging the giant.

"What do we need to talk about?" he asks, looking down at me.

"I'm pregnant," I say.

"What?" he asks shocked.

"I'm pregnant," I repeat. I then start crying again, waiting for him to leave.

"Really?!" he asks with excitement.

"Yeah," I stutter.