oh death

Word Count: 3308
copyright © nic berns
trigger warning: death, self harm, depression
note: this one is sad, bring out the tissues! I cried while writing it and editing it; but then again, i cry easily. anywhore, go ahead and enjoy the story!

oh death

nicole

"Luke, are you sure about this? You know my anxiety gets really bad when I get behind the wheel. I don't want to put you in danger–" he cuts me off.

"No need to be afraid, Nicole. We're going to the end of the street and back. That's all." he says, his hand on my thigh in a comforting way.

"The end of the street and back," I mumble, sighing.

"We won't go anywhere unless you put it in drive, hon," he says, chuckling.

"Oh. Right," I chuckle, putting the car into drive.

I press the gas and we jolt forward. "Take it easy, babe." he says softly. "Slowly press your foot against the gas pedal," he advises.

I do as told and we start to move forward. "Take it easy," he says, his hand still on my thigh.

Once we make it to the end of the street, he guides me on how to do a u-turn.

As I'm doing the u-turn, a car speeds into the passenger side, causing everything to go black.

·××·

I wake up in a hospital bed, Mike sitting in the chair next to the bed.

"Mikey?" I question, my voice weak.

"Nicole," he gets up and walks over to me. "Hey," he smiles weakly.

"Luke! Oh my God! How's Luke?! The car hit his side! Is he okay?!" I panic, my heart monitor speeding up.

"About that..." Ashton walks in the room, his eyes swollen from crying.

"What?" I was truly confused.

"He didn't make it," Mike says with a hand on my shoulder.

"What?!" I ask, tears filling my eyes. "This is a joke right?" I cry. "He's gonna walk through that door and be fine. Right?" 

Mikey shakes his head. "No." he hiccups.

"He's ... dead?" I hesitate, not wanting to say it.

Ashton nods, walking over to my bed. Calum and Crystal walk into the room, their eyes red and swollen as well.

"I'm so sorry, Nic. He died on impact." Ashton says.

"This is my fault..." I say to myself, getting angry.

"No, Nicole. This isn't your fault. It's the SOB who hit you guys that we should blame. Drinking and driving. That son of a–" I cut Mike off.

"No. I was taking forever to do that u-turn. If I would've turned sooner..." I let out a sob.

Mike goes to hug me. "No!" I shout, pushing him off.