come home for christmas

word count 531
copyright © nic berns
note: i actually wrote this before luke and she-who-should-not-be-named got petunia. and it originally said lenny, for i originally thought lenny was luke's dog. but he's not, he's jack's dog (i think. he might be ben's).

please come home for christmas

You pull out the vacuum and start vacuuming up the flecks of your live Christmas tree off the ground; for Petunia kept eating them, then throwing them up for you to clean.

You wipe away a few tears as you vacuum. You had just found out that your husband, of 13 years, wasn't coming home for Christmas. The boys had decided it was a good idea to do a comeback tour. While you did agree with them, you felt a little upset knowing that after just getting Luke back a few years ago, you had to lose him again.

Your daughter was all out happy, for she loved her father's music, and she was hyped to hear new music from them. But, she didn't know the sacrifice she had to make to be able to hear it.

"Mum, can I get on the WiFi--why are you crying?" She asks concerned.

"No reason, Andella. Yea, you can get on the WiFi, give me your phone," you lie and sniffle.

"Never mind that. Why are you crying?" She asks again. "Is Dad gonna be home for Christmas?" She adds.

You look at her with pity written all over your face. You hated lying to Andella. She deserved to know. "Andy, sweetheart, your father really tried-"

"I knew it," she cuts you off. "I told him not to go, I did. I tried to get him to stay, Mom. I really did. He didn't listen, that shit head didn't listen," she cries.

"Language! Although, your father is being a shit head at the moment," you agree with your daughter.

**TIME SKIP**

On Christmas morning, you wake up to Andella shaking you, "Mom, mom, mom, wake up! It's Christmas!" She exclaims.

You smile and get up, making your morning coffee and walking into the living room to see Andella sitting on the floor by the tree, Petunia sitting next to her with her ears up and head cocked to the side. "Go ahead and open it," you say, referring to the present in her lap.

After Andella opens all her presents, she smiles and looks at you, handing you a small box that's wrapped neatly in snowmen wrapping paper, with a beautiful bow tied around it. You only knew one person who did that every year for you: Luke. You assumed Andella just got it from her dad, and opened the present. Inside laid a beautiful diamond necklace with your name on it, and a diamond ring, plus a card that read: Merry Christmas, my love. And you knew it was from Luke.

"Merry Christmas, Mom," you look up to see Luke standing behind your daughter, who had a giant smile on her face as she said those three words.

Your mouth drops and your eyes tear up and you run over to him, wrapping your arms around his neck. You jump up and wrap your legs around his waist, burring your face in his neck. "I missed you," you mumble into his neck.

"I missed you too," he says into your hair as he holds your waist.

Andella sneaks her phone out and takes a picture of the two of you, posting it on Instagram.

end story