Prolouge

"If you step out to smoke, I'll jump out the window." Mikaela mused, setting a mocking smile on his lips, as he turned to look at the human that was currently watching over him.

The man in question chuckled and nodded in appreciation before walking out of the room, a cigarette already resided between his fingers.

The man stepped out to smoke.

Mikaela jumped out the window.

"How could you even consider leaving him alone after all we told you! The only reason why we even left him to any of you was because you assured us you would stay with him at all times!" The malice and absolute hatred in Lacus's voice made the men before him flinch. Yoichi would have as well, if he was in their place, but he wasn't. He was just as furious. Yoichi didn't bother to hide his anger. None of them did.

"What would you have done if I wasn't right outside his window at that time!?! He would be dead!" Lacus continued.

The man in charge stuttered out, "I agree that our staff was rather careless in the matter, b-but there is no time in life to think a bout 'what if's. That being said, you should all calm down-" he was cut off by a cold laugh from Lacus.

"And you would be dead as well. I would personally make it that way!" Lacus hissed.

Yoichi was about to add on, when Mikaela opened the door and tilted his head in question. The maid behind him looked unsure as to what to do.

"Lacus why is it that you are shouting?"

Everyone froze. It had been a while since Mikaela had talked specifically to anyone. It had been a while since Mikaela talked at all.

"I-I was...I..." Lacus cut himself off to bow in apology, he stayed like that as he continued in a stiff but respectful voice, the tone he used as one of the main servants in the Shindo family, "Please forgive me Mikaela-sama, for I have no excuse as to why I have raised my voice."

"No need to ask for forgiveness..." With that Mikaela was gone. Physically he wasn't. Mentally he was. He was once again lost in his thoughts. Something told Yoichi that it would take a long time before, Mikaela, was once again present.

Four days passed from the most recent suicide attempt. It was sad to say, but they were way more common before. They all let their guard down because Mikaela showed signs of improvement. That was their mistake. They came close to paying dearly, for residing in a calm and relived bliss.

Yoichi was the one who was currently taking care of Mikaela. They preferred to say they took care of him, but in reality they all knew they were all keeping guard. They were scared. Unwilling to let their relief blind them into thinking that Mikaela wouldn't try it again.

That's when Mikaela after four days, broke his silence to say, "Sometimes the truth is the best lie."

Yoichi didn't understand what he meant by that.

He understood two days later, right before he finished tucking in Mikaela for the night, when Mikaela once again opened his mouth to say something that erupted goosebumps all over Yoichi's body, and made him feel sick.

"If you sleep, I'll never wake up."

Yoichi didn't sleep that night, nor the night after that.