Author's Secrets: Chapter 33 (Failing)

Calum Hood

Luke had decided to buy the cheap tux that he saw in Next, which suited him, if I had to be honest. After shopping, Luke and I were cuddled in Luke's room, watching Mean Girls on repeat. We could hear Ashton and Autumn in the background, reciting the film that they were watching, which also happened to be Mean Girls. Michael decided to go back to work, seeing that he needed to pay his landlord for the week, or he'd be kicked out, but then reality kicked in and it was soon Monday again. I was stuck in maths class, admiring the back of Luke's, whom had just transferred to my maths class, head.
          "Calum, I need your parents to sign this so they know that you're failing." I mentally groaned.
          "Failing?" I asked like I thought I didn't know that I was failing.
          "You know what's weird about your quizzes, Calum, is that all the work is right, and just the answers are wrong." Miss Laker pointed out.
          "Really?" I asked, feigning shock.
          "Really," Miss Laker confirmed. "Calum, I know that having a boyfriend may seem like the most important thing in the world right now, but you don't have to dumb yourself down to get boys to like you."
          "Did you just assume I'm gay?" I asked, scoffing. Luke stifled a laugh.
          Luke turned around. "Calum, everyone in the English-speaking-world knows that you're gay."
          "Snagged you, didn't I?" I seductively jiggled my eyebrows and blew a kiss to Luke.
          "That's not appropriate behaviour for class," Miss Laker scolded. "You should keep your personal lives out of class."
          "I'm not trying to get a boyfriend. I already have one." I spoke proudly.
          "But that's not the problem, is it?" How would you know?
          "I know, 'how would you know', right? I'm divorced. I'm broke from getting divorced. The only guy that ever calls my house is Randy from Chase Visa. And you know why?"
          "Enlighten me."
          "Calm down, Christian." Luke chuckled.
          "Because I'm a pusher. I push people. I pushed my husband into law school. That was a bust. I pushed myself into working three jobs. And now I'm gonna push you because I know you're smarter than this."
          "Full of Christian's, this class is."
          "But you don't have to push yourself into working three jobs. You don't need to have a perfect life." I muttered to Miss Laker.
          "No, I don't. But it's too late for me."
          "Well, thanks, Miss Laker. And if there's anything I can do for extra credit, please let me know." There's no way I'm doing extra credit.
          "Oh, I will."

***

"I hate her!" I yelled, pacing around Luke's room. "I mean, she's totally failing me on purpose because I didn't join those stupid Mathletes!"
          "Just tell on her, Cal. She'll get fired." Michael grumbled, tired of the situation already.
          "She was so queer. She was like, 'I'm a pusher, Calum. I'm a pusher.'"
          "What does that even mean?" Luke laughed, lifting a set of size two dumbbells.
          "Like a drug pusher?" Michael asked quietly, absent-mindedly stroking Ashton's hair since Ashton's head was on his lap.
          "Probably. She said she works three jobs," I folded my arms. "You know, I bet she sells drugs on the side to pay for her pathetic divorce."
          "Harsh much," Autumn snorted a laugh. "Mikey, gimme back my boyfriend."
          Michael cocked his head to the side and raised his eyebrow in confusion, then realised what he was doing and looked down at Ashton, embarrassed. Ashton looked up at Michael with innocent eyes and stifled a giggle.
          "I was wondering when you'd notice." Ashton spoke tiredly.
          "How long was I doing that for?" Michael asked.
          "Maybe twenty minutes?" Ashton asked back.
          "You two are so queer." Luke snorted a laugh.
          "Says the man who asked what 'queer' meant only a few seconds ago." Autumn scoffed, throwing a pillow at Luke.
          "Excuse me, bitch?" Luke scoffed back, putting his working out equipment to the side and putting his hands to his chest. "You think I'm a man?"
          "With all that hair-"
          "Watch out what you say next, bitch."
          "On your head-"
          "I so thought that was going in a different direction." I stifled a laugh.
          "Guys, they're related." Ashton whined.
          "Aw, Luke, you're looking so handsome today," Autumn giggled. "I could just eat you up."
          "Well, I think I have something in stock..." Luke trailed off, wiggling his eyebrows.
          "Come on, guys, Ashton doesn't like that." Michael sighed.
          "Aw, poor, little Ashton doesn't like his girlfriend flirting with other guys." Luke spoke in a baby voice.
          "Can we get back to the topic at hand?" I asked.
          "Oh, sorry, Mr I'm-So-Posh." Luke snorted another laugh.
          "Sorry that I'm so out of character for you," I rolled my eyes. "I just can't believe what that bitch of teacher said to me. I mean, I'm good at maths, you know? I just know that taking that class is a waste of time. I know I'm going to pass my exams, so, like, why should I even bother learning what I already know?"
          "You need to pass the assessments, though, Cal. If you fail them, you'll be put into a lower class and then you'll get the lower paper." Ashton informed me.
          "I don't need foundation in my life." I scoffed.
          "Your skin isn't looking so hot right now, though," Autumn shrugged. "You could do with some foundation and concealer."
          "No, thank you, I think I'm okay."
          "Are you sure I can't make you pretty?"
          "Bitch, I am pretty."
          "How dare you insult my boyfriend, Autumn," Luke scoffed. "Look at you talking about foundation and stuff like that. You look like a brown blob."
          "Fucking rude." Autumn muttered.
          "Cal, there has to be some things you don't know in maths." Ashton suggested.
          "No, I literally know everything. I have always gotten full marks on my papers." I shook my head.
          "Then why are you failing?"
          "Because Miss Laker is a bitch that's trying to ruin my life." I spoke causally, crossing my arms.
          "You let it out, Cal. Put it in the book." Michael spoke patronisingly, passing me the Burn Book.
          I know that it may look like I'd become a bitch, but that's only because I was acting like a bitch, but who actually cared about what I was acting like these days? All that mattered was the fact that everyone seemed to be having no problem with being a bitch towards me.
          "Mikey?" I heard Ashton ask.
          "What?" Michael asked back.
          "Have you ever taken drugs?"
          "Of course I have."
          "Why?" Ashton asked in shock.
          "Look, don't ask if you're gonna be shocked about it."
          "Why?"
          "Because I can't sleep."
          "So, that means you just take random drugs?"
          "No, I take sleeping pills, but they're called 'antidepressants'. You know what, though? Sometimes they make me feel really depressed and make it harder for me to sleep."
          "I have to take insulin for my diabetes when I have a fit."
          "Doesn't that mean you have to take cold insulin with you wherever you go?"
          "Well, I keep insulin at school and people's houses, but I don't really take it with me. I'd just have to hope for an ambulance or medic to be near by. I don't need an insulin bag, I just have to use a needle."
          "Do you have regular fits?"