Chapter 33

Calum Hood

Luke had bought his tux in the end. Ashton had decided to leave Luke alone for the time being. And me, being the kind person I am, decided to tell Michael that Ashton was bisexual and had every intention of going out with his best friend.
          Meanwhile, I was stuck in maths class the next day, still being hated by the only girl I had ever loved, apart from my mum, of course. But I was getting off of task. Darcy was still sulking over her lying cheat of a boyfriend, or, should I say, ex-boyfriend.
          "Calum, I need your parents to sign this so they know that you're failing." I mentally groaned.
          "Failing?" I asked like I thought I didn't know that I was failing.
          "You know what's weird about your quizzes, Calum, is that all the work is right, and just the answers are wrong." Miss Laker pointed out.
          "Really?" I asked, feigning shock.
          "Really," Miss Laker confirmed. "Calum, I know that having a girlfriend may seem like the most important thing in the world right now, but you don't have to dumb yourself down to get girls to like you."
          "I'm not trying to get a girlfriend. I already have one." I spoke proudly.
          "But that's not the case. Is it?" How would you know?
          "I know, 'how would I know', right? I'm divorced. I'm broke from getting divorced. The only guy that ever calls my house is Randy from Chase Visa. And you know why?"
          "Enlighten me."
          "Because I'm a pusher. I push people. I pushed my husband into law school. That was a bust. I pushed myself into working three jobs. And now I'm gonna push you because I know you're smarter than this."
          "But you don't have to push yourself into working three jobs. You don't need to have a perfect life."
          "No, I don't. But it's too late for me."
          "Well, thanks, Miss Laker. And if there's anything I can do for extra credit, please let me know." There's no way I'm doing extra credit.
          "Oh, I will."

***

"I hate her!" I yelled, pacing around Luke's room. "I mean, she's totally failing me on purpose because I didn't join those stupid Mathletes!"
          "Just tell on her, Cal. She'll get fired." Michael grumbled, tired of the situation already.
          "She was so queer. She was like, 'I'm a pusher, Calum. I'm a pusher.'"
          "What does that even mean?" Luke laughed, lifting a set of size two dumbbells.
          "Like a drug pusher?" Michael asked quietly, absent-mindedly stroking Ashton's hair since Ashton's head was on his lap.
          "Probably. She said she works three jobs," I folded my arms. "You know, I bet she sells drugs on the side to pay for her pathetic divorce."
          "You let it out, Cal. Put it in the book."
          I know that it may look like I'd become a bitch, but that's only because I was acting like a bitch. But who actually cared about what I was acting like these days? All that mattered was the fact that everyone seemed to be having no problem with being a bitch towards me.
          "Mikey?" I heard Ashton ask.
          "What?"
          "What's a drug?"
          "A drug is something you should never take."
          "Why?"
          "Because drugs kill people and things."
          "But I'm allowed to take drugs because they keep me alive. Gordon said so."
          "What?" Michael asked in confusion.
          "Gordon gives people life. You are Gordon."
          "What?" Michael asked, even more confused.
          "Do you mean God?" I asked.
          "No, I mean Gordon."
          "Ash, God is Gordon. Michael is not God... Gordon... Whatever... Whoever you think."
          "No! You're lying," Ashton stated, pulling himself up from Michael's lap. "Michael is Gordon because his middle name is Gordon. He gives people life. Luke is Lucifer because the devil is evil and Lucifer kills people."
          "Ash, you're making no sense whatsoever," Luke chuckled. "I'm not evil. I'm not the devil. I'm Luke, your best friend."
          "Then who is Lucifer?"
          "Lucifer is the man who lives underground." Luke said.
          "Who is Gordon?"
          "Gordon is not a real person. It's God, Ash. God. God lives upstairs; in the sky." Luke explained.
          "Oh." Ash blushed in embarrassment, now understanding.
          "I swear down, Ash, you're the cutest thing ever." I cooed, throwing the Burn Book at Luke making him drop his weights on top of his chest.
          "You bitch! That fucking hurt! Luke complained, removing the book and weights from his chest, then rubbed it.
          "Sorry." I feigned an apology.
          "You better be fucking sorry, otherwise, your face will connect with my fist."
          "You wish. You almost killed me once. Two more times and you'll go to jail."
          "You wish." Luke repeated, carrying on lifting his weights.
          "Lukey, don't be mean to Cal-Pal."
          It looked like Luke was about to argue with Ashton until he said,
          "Okay, but only for you."
          I was about to say something that would upset Luke even more, but someone had knocked on the door. Luke put his weights next to him and walked over to the door, opened it, then let the person enter the room. It was Autumn.
          "Luke, I need to tell you something."
          "Can't it wait, Autumn? I'm busy."
          "No. It's important."
          "What's important?" Ash piped up.
          "Do you want us to leave?" Michael asked, turning his head to look at Autumn and Luke glaring at each other.
          "No, it's okay. You'll find out soon anyway." Autumn whispered.
          "What's up then?" Luke asked.
          "Mum and Dad are thinking about splitting up."
          "Oh, honey, don't worry about that. You know they've been going through a rough patch because of the baby. They will sort their relationship out. Getting a divorce is not the way to solve things." Luke soothed his stepsister, hugging her in the process.
          "Do you really think so?"
          "Of course I do. Mum is going to have a healthy baby and dad is going to make sure it happens. Okay? Mum is going to be fine once she goes to the doctor."

          "Really?"
          "Really, honey. I promise," Luke whispered, kissing his sister's hair. "Do you want to stay with us, be on your own, or go to Love?"
          "I don't want to be around Lovella. Can I just stay with you?" Autumn asked, wiping away her tears.
          "Of course you can," Luke answered, letting go of his sister. "Just go to Cal, yeah? I think you two need some time together out of the house."
          "But you just said I could stay with you!" Autumn exclaimed.
          "Yeah, well, I lied. You know it's not safe for you to be in the house when mum and dad are at each others throats."
          "Why does Lovella get to stay here?"
          "She doesn't. She stays with me in my room because she's younger than you, and she has no one to hang out with."
          "But-"
          "You know what happened last time you were here. Mum threw a glass at you and said it was your fault that she couldn't have kids."
          "But, Luke, that's not going to happen again!"
          "She broke your wrist by pushing you down the stairs."
          "She pushed you down the stairs?" I asked in shock.
          "Just go with Calum, Autumn."
          "No-"
          "Autumn." Luke said in a strict tone.
          "Fuck you."
          I said 'bye' to Michael and Ashton before I stood and followed Autumn to the door. Luke grabbed my wrist and pulled me back before I could leave. He whispered,
          "Don't hurt her. You can thank me later." I nodded and left with Autumn. At least I learned one thing; Luke has a nice side towards Ashton and his sister.