e i g h t e e n - y o o n g i

God, when's she going to get here?

   I stand outside the Big Hit building with a mask and hat on, waiting for Rin's arrival. She isn't even late yet; I'm just worried about all of this falling through.

   It's Tuesday today, and I've managed to get myself scheduled with my CEO to talk about Rin's demo. Currently, Rin's getting out of work early and I'm getting out of some promotional meeting the rest of the boys had to attend. That, in all honesty, is a plus— meetings like that are the absolute worst. Because of that meeting, I can risk just standing outside the building like this; otherwise, a couple fans would likely be waiting outside as usual, in case we have to leave for something.

   The meeting with the CEO is scheduled for 1:00, and checking my phone for the time I note that it's 12:38. Rin told me she'd get here around 12:45, but in case she's early I want to be here for her. That, and I'd rather not wait around in the stuffy, almost suffocating atmosphere of the lobby. We could really do with a remodel in there.

   I loiter on what is essentially my own property, absentmindedly playing games on my phone and periodically checking Twitter. Busying myself in this way is not the most engaging of pastimes, but it gets the job done. That is, until a familiar voice calls my name.

   "Suga! It's been quite awhile, hasn't it? How are you doing?"

   I look up to confirm my suspicions: it's Choi Juyoung in front of me, sporting a leather jacket and briefcase to match.

   "Hey, Juyoung," I say, smiling a little under my mask and then pulling it down to chat. "I'm doing well. How are you?"

   "Great, great. Things have been pretty good for me recently."

   "That's good! I'm happy for you," I get the words out quickly, already feeling the awkwardness beginning to seep into the exchange.

   "What're you doing out here? Shouldn't you be inside, avoiding adoring fans?" He seems to be being sarcastic just for the sake of being sarcastic, but there's a hint of actual confusion in his tone. Immediately, I begin formulating excuses so that I don't have to tell him about Rin. Knowing that he usually works as her producer, I don't think telling him that she's doing business elsewhere would be a very good idea.

   "Just getting some fresh air," I explain, hoping it's a convincing enough lie. "I'm waiting on a meeting with some people and I just can't stand that lobby." Come to think of it, that really isn't a lie at all, it just isn't the whole truth.

   "Yeah, corporations can be like that. Have you been busy recently? You look a little tired."

   "Oh, yeah. We're going to start up promotions for a new track really soon— we're just waiting on a master. Things are always hectic about this time. You?"

   "Oh, y'know— freelance work has its perks, doesn't it? I've got all the time in the world. I'm actually going out with Rin tomorrow, did she tell you?" There's the subtlest look of smugness on his face like he knows exactly the effect he just had on me.

   "No, I hadn't heard. Sounds like a blast." I fake a smile that I know from experience is beyond convincing, trying to guilt trip him a bit. Maybe if I seem genuinely happy for him, he'll feel bad about bragging. He shouldn't talk about Rin that way, waving her around like a prize to be won, but I decide to give him the benefit of the doubt. It probably just came out worse than he meant it to be.

   "Yeah, I'm sure it will be. We haven't spent any time together in awhile, so I'm really excited." Again, the smugness on his face is there. My attempt at a guilt-trip apparently didn't work on him.