t w e n t y t h r e e - r i n

I wake up with a groan to the sound of my own body hitting the floor and the pain that accompanies it. Confused, I look around and find myself on the floor of my living room with a blanket haphazardly wrapped around me. It's at this point where I begin to put the pieces back together. Falling asleep on the couch, still wearing the clothes I'd worn yesterday, the bitter sticky feeling that coats the inside of my mouth from not brushing my teeth before passing out, it's all coming together. The question is, where'd Yoongi head off to?

   I frown slightly as I pick myself up off the floor, rubbing the elbow on which I'd landed to try and ebb the pain. Yoongi wouldn't have left without reason, right? He's probably got a schedule or something, and he just didn't want to wake me up. I rummage around the living room for my phone, finding it wedged between two of the couch cushions. I hit the button to turn on the screen, noting that it's already 10:30 and viewing the four notifications that appear before me. One of the messages that greet me is from Yoongi:

Hey, sorry about having to leave so soon. We had to prep for a schedule and my manager wanted me back. I didn't wanna wake you so I just let myself out. Thanks for hanging out! It was a lot of fun ^^
sent 9:34am

   I look at the other messages, all three of which are from Juyoung.

helloooooo
sent 9:52am

wanna hang out today?
sent 9:53am

I'm still down to see that movie if you want
sent 10:02am

   I consider Juyoung's offer. Half of me does want to get out of the house, but the other half of me just wants to stay in and work on music or maybe try and get something productive done at home. I decide to clean myself up and think about it, then get back to Juyoung afterwards. So, I head upstairs and plug my phone in in my bedroom before going to take a shower. I wash my hair, take my time pondering, and ultimately decide to pass on Juyoung's offer as I emerge from the steamy utopia known as my shower. I throw on sweats and a black t-shirt and decide to let my hair air-dry. Stepping out of the bathroom and entering my bedroom to send Juyoung a response, I realize how much of a mess my room is. God, it's like a teenage boy lives in here or something. There are dirty clothes tossed into a pile beside my bed, various knick-knacks on the floor and pretty much everywhere else, and the carpeting could do with a vacuuming. I smile, knowing what I'm going to do today.

   The first thing I do is pick up all of my dirty clothes and get myself started on some laundry. Afterwards, I pick up all the trash that's on the ground and either throw things away or set them on my bed to be displayed later. Then, I vacuum. Now, with a growing pile of tchotchkes to sort through, I decide a little redecoration's also probably in order. I start sorting through all of my little action figures first, putting a select few on display on top of my bed's headboard and filing the rest away in a shoebox in my closet. Then, I move on to various concert memorabilia, taping some tickets and photos to the wall in a mediocre collage. After doing this, I pick up the rest of my things and move to display them all on my dresser. It's at this point that I notice that old photo of Juyoung and me and I stop. I pick up the frame slowly and deliberately, taking the black piece of wood and glass and handling it as though it might combust in my hands. Examining the picture carefully, a sad smile spreads across my face. Things made a lot more sense when that picture was taken, I'll admit. Now, I've got two best friends who seem to hate each other, and things just seem to keep getting more complicated. I remember the photo of Yoongi that's behind this one, and internally thank myself for not tearing it up or throwing it out despite wanting to several times. I open up the back of the frame, gently removing the old picture and smiling again. On the back is the phrase Silver & Gloss, soon-to-be stars, written in Yoongi's messy scrawl. That was before Juyoung. That was before Yoongi auditioned for Big Hit. That was before I got my job at the library. That was before Jieun and Jintae. That was before Juyoung and Yoongi started butting heads. That was before Juyoung started flirting. That was before I woke up.