t h i r t y t h r e e - r i n

Tears come to my eyes as I look at the colleagues who have been by my side through thick and thin for so long. I hand Kyeonghwa my apron with a melancholy smile, not quite having words to express the situation. It's finally time for me to move past this place and to put my focus elsewhere. I'm not going to get to find that homey familiarity in shelving adult fiction; I'm free to forget the Dewey Decimal System; I don't get to drink the coffee from the break room anymore. But it's for the best; I've been away from the library for so long that even now the location seems foreign, like it's totally lost all the qualities that made it so important to me.

   "I'll come visit when I can, okay?" I manage, looking to Kyeonghwa. Her expression mirrors mine, and she pulls me into a warm hug.

   "Only if it doesn't get in the way, Rin-ah," she muses. "We want what's best for you just as much as you do." She grips me tightly and rubs my back as if this is the last time we're ever going to see each other. I intend to not make this the case, but that doesn't seem to register with the shift manager I love and respect so much.

   When Kyeonghwa finally lets me go, I turn to my other partner in book-related crime: Dabin. He smirks and outstretches his arms, beckoning me into a hug that I have no issue with delivering. "We'll miss you, Rin," he says, his voice even. "But call me if you're free, okay? Or if you have a show or something. God knows, I'm actually starting to like rap."

   "I'll believe that when I see it," I chuckle, letting my friend go.

   "Seriously, though, Rin. If you're free ever, let me know. I'll make time."

   "I know you will, Dabin. And like I said, I'll pop in when I can. I'd never be able to leave you guys alone for too long, after all."

   Dabin just rolls his eyes and I reach into my purse, producing the object I'd long forgotten about. The book about the Maryland band and the mystery they attempted to solve left my range of attention very shortly after Jieun and Jintae had entered my life. I'd completely forgotten to check the thing back in, and I can only imagine what the overdue fines look like.

   "Would you mind checking this in for me?" I manage, looking at Dabin and laughing lightly. "Since I don't work here anymore, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to use the equipment."

   Kyeonghwa just pushes the book back into my hands, giving me a soft smile. "Keep it. We already took care of the fines and it was enough to just buy a new copy, so that's yours. It's the least we can do, really."

   "You're sure?" I ask, still trying to give the book to one of my now ex-coworkers.

   "Positive," Kyeonghwa replies. "Now, you should get going. We have a library to run and you have somewhere else you need to be, don't you? Something with Juyoung?"

   "Oh— yeah, I do. Thanks for reminding me; I don't want to be late."

   "Of course. Now— get out of here, you're loitering." Kyeonghwa laughs and gives me one final hug before I turn and begin my departure from the place where I've worked diligently for two years.

   "Goodbye, Rin." I hear Dabin's words over my shoulder and I pivot on my heel so I'm walking backward, facing him.

   "That sound a little ominous, don't you think? I'll talk to you later, Dabin."

   He laughs, waving me off with his trademark smile. "Fine, then. See you later, Rin."

   And with that I exit through the library doors, not knowing when I'll walk through them again.

   I jump into the company van and Bangtan's manager gives me a look of heartfelt caring.

   "All done?" He asks as I buckle my seatbelt.