n i n e t e e n - r i n

I sit on the couch with an episode of Running Man on and my phone in my hand, waiting on a text from Juyoung. He seems to be running a bit late, not that I really mind. To pass the time I jot down concept ideas as notes in my phone, thinking about doing this track with Yoongi. It still doesn't feel real. After all this time, I finally got what I wanted? It's almost too good to be true.

   At 12:11 there's a knock on my door, and I stand up with a confused expression on my face. Juyoung normally just texts me to let me know that he's here.

   I cross the room to the front door and open it. Sure enough, Choi Juyoung is there before me, a smile on his face. He's wearing a navy blue t-shirt with a black blazer and black skinny jeans— rather dressy, knowing him. In contrast, I'm just wearing some distressed skinny jeans and a white t-shirt, and I am also the antithesis of dressed up. No makeup, nothing fancy with my hair, very casual. I didn't miss anything, did I? We're just getting lunch, right?

   "What's going on, Juyoung? You're all dressed up."

   "Ah, I just got this blazer and I wanted to try it out. How do I look?" He scratches the back of his neck and then gestures at himself, a bit of nervousness showing through his smile.

   "You look nice," I say with a smile. "A bit dressed up for lunch, but nice nonetheless."

      He sighs a little, seemingly in relief. "Great, because this blazer cost more than I'm willing to admit. Anyway, you ready to go?"

   "Yep, just lemme get my shoes." I reach down to get my white converse as I speak, tugging them on and tying them quickly. With that, I stand and shoot Juyoung another smile before we leave the house. I close and lock the door behind me, then jump into the passenger's seat of Juyoung's car. Originally, the plan had been to grab lunch, but we switched to coffee for the sake of simplicity. Juyoung starts the vehicle and turns on the radio, face souring for just a fraction of a moment when Bangtan's Dope begins to play.

   In spite of myself, I chuckle. "What was that? Did you bite your tongue or something?"

   "Something like that," Juyoung states. "I don't know, I guess hearing the song reminded me of the chat I had with Yoongi a couple days ago. How is he?"

   "Good, I think," I reply, treading lightly. "I guess he's getting started on some new promotions soon, so we haven't been talking much."

   "Ah, I see."

   "When did you see him?" I query, having a sneaking suspicion already.

   "I was taking a walk down to the audio equipment place to see if my soundboard was in, and I went by the Big Hit building. He was just standing outside the building, said he wanted some fresh air."

   "Nice."

   The rest of the car ride follows in what is moderately awkward silence. Thankfully, it didn't seem like anything major went on between my two friends, and Yoongi hadn't told Juyoung anything about our track, but it's clear that one does not like to hear about the other. Now Yoongi's request to say hi to Juyoung makes sense, too.

   When we arrive at the cafe, Juyoung opens up my door for me in a very gentlemanly fashion and beckons me inside. It's just a standard coffee shop, nothing out of the ordinary. Small booths line the walls and tables are scattered throughout the floor space. A pane of glass separates customers from pastries dusted with powdered sugar, and baristas rush around behind the counter filling orders.

   Juyoung walks up to the counter and a barista asks for his order.

   "Iced latte and a caramel frapp, please," he says with a smile, glancing over his shoulder at me. I give him a quizzical look, but let him proceed. I guess it's not wholly uncommon to know your best friend's drink order after a couple years.