VIII

"Thanks," Alice said to Percy once they had left the Big House.

"For what?" Percy replied without looking at her.

"For standing up for me," Alice replied.

"Don't even mention it," Percy said. There was a slight shake in his voice. "She may not know why you fainted, but I do. Because I fell down into the dam pit with your mother for nothing. You were shocked when you heard that she betrayed you after I fell down there with you. But I don't care who your mother was; I may be your uncle, but you are also my sister. And I will never, and I mean never, let anything happen to my sister. You hear that? Never again."

Alice was speechless. She stopped walking, but Percy sped up as he walked away. Alice could've sworn she saw a tear trail down his cheek as he entered the Thanatos cabin.

Alice wanted to comfort him, but she knew that he would want to be left alone for a little while. She made a mental note to check on him later and reluctantly walked to the Artemis cabin.

~°~

Percy buried his face in his arms and remembered.

Think about the good, he thought. Not the bad. Not the sad. Think about the happy times.

~°~ FLASHBACK ~°~

The girl could not have been over four years old. She had long black hair held back in a ponytail and bright sea green eyes.

Percy stood next to her, laughing at a joke the girl had made. It was his fifth birthday, and his mother had brought home a blue cake for the three of them to share. Gabe didn't live with them yet, and everything was amazing.

Percy had opened all of his presents. His favorites were a book on sea life that he got from the girl.

"Happy birthday, Percy!" The girl and Percy's mom said together, smiling. The girl handed him a present.

"Open it!" She shouted. "Open it, open it!"

Percy smiled and laughed as he took it. He carefully unwrapped it, unsure if he would rip something inside, but still managing to completely destroy the paper. The three laughed.

"It's a book!" Percy smiled. It had the words "The Completely True Book On Sea Life" on the front cover. "I love sea creatures!"

"So do I," the girl responded. "I got it so that we can read it together. We can look at the pictures of the fishies!"

Percy smiled at his little sister lovingly.

*Edited*