Chapter 5

"I wouldn't do that." A man stepped forth from behind the soldiers just as Dominic was about to pull his sword out.

"If you say so." Dominic gave a careless shrug and halted. I suspected it was to rile the man up, as if he wasn't worthy of Dominic's sword.

The man narrowed his eyes and I studied him. He looked about as old as the General, in his late twenties. He had curly blonde hair and though he was as tall as Dominic, he didn't appear to be as fit. Judging from his clothes, I could also tell that he was wealthy.

"Dominic let's go." I whispered. The nightmare was still fresh in my mind and we were severely outnumbered.

The blonde man looked at me strangely, there was no malice on his face. In fact, his eyes were sad.

"Dominic..." I tugged at his hand, worry gnawing at the pit of my stomach. I had no idea who the man was or what he was doing in the forest with the soldiers of Beate. My natural instinct as always was to run.

He ignored me once more so I grabbed his arm with both my hands. Hard muscle stiffened beneath my touch and he turned to me with a sharp look. His irritation melted into confusion as soon as he saw the panic on my face. He searched my eyes for a second and then turned to look at the blonde man with the cold gaze that he had mastered.

"Dominic huh?" The man spoke up.

"That's my lord or king to you."

"I don't see a crown." The man raised an eyebrow, "A true king never takes off his crown."

"A true king doesn't need one." Dominic spoke matter-of-factly.

"Mighty king Dominic..." the man mocked, "of what kingdom?"

"Beate, for one. Who are you ?"

"Prince of Ralia."

That explains the clothing.

"And what do you want?"

"Give me the girl and I'll let you live." He smiled at Dominic.

I gasped and my hands fell limp at my sides. I'd never seen the man in my life before. Perhaps, he was Nish's ally. Perhaps, Nish had sent him to get me. Ralia and Beate had always been on friendly terms. It would explain why the Prince of Ralia was commanding the soldiers of Beate. But that didn't explain why Nish had used me to kill Dominic in the first place or why he wanted me again.

"By the girl, you mean my wife?"

"You married her!?" The blonde man's smug expression turned to that of fury.

"Yes." Dominic gave a small smile of his own, "Breathtaking, isn't she?"

That was the last word I would've used to describe myself. Dominic turned to me and tucked my hair behind the ear, seemingly into a caress. His eyes spoke a different story. They shifted briefly to Eurus and then they were on me. I understood. Things were about to get violent and he wanted me to run. I gave him a subtle nod.

I had a couple of choices then. I could go with the Prince and see what that was about but it could potentially mean my death. I could get on Eurus and run away but the horse wasn't exactly friendly and could also lead to my death.