Chapter 13

Leo cursed out loud and I watched the snakes lunge, their fangs bared. For a moment, it seemed as though time stopped. There was just one thought on my mind.

He can not die.

It all happened very fast. Dominic extended a hand, his palm facing forward. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath.

"Burn." As soon as the word was out of his mouth, the snakes turned to ash. Their loud hisses filling the hall.

For a moment, I was mesmerised at such brilliant display of magic but then, relief flooded through me. It felt as though I could breath again. He was going to be fine.

"Oh thank goodness." I choked out.

"How..." Kios hissed.

"You have your tricks..." Dominic smiled, "I have mine."

Kios however, hadn't had enough and decided to take matter into his own hands. He bared his sharp teeth and jumped to attack. Dominic grabbed his throat and slammed him onto the floor.

The crowd cheered madly. I sagged back into the chair and wiped my tears. I couldn't help the small giggle that escaped me. Even Leo was laughing.

"You little-"

"Stop. Talking." Dominic cut Kios off by squeezing his throat.

The crowd started cheering once more so I couldn't hear what he said before breaking Kios's neck. I didn't feel any remorse for the man. It shocked me a little. I couldn't understand if it was because he was here to hurt me, or to kill Dominic. Perhaps it was both.

Leo rushed down to Dominic while I stood up on wobbly legs. After talking for a while, Leo went out through the main door and Dominic walked up to me. I was about to hug him when he stepped back. For a moment, I wondered if it was because he'd had enough of it, if he was tired of constantly risking his life for me.

"I don't want this filth on you." He grimaced.

"Oh shut up." I hugged him then.

Reluctantly, he returned my hug. He rubbed my back and placed a soft kiss on top of my head. The fact that he was the one comforting me was ironic. I wasn't the one who had a near death experience but at that moment, it was very welcome.

"Did you think I would lose?" He frowned when I stepped back.

"I feared the worst." I admitted.

"I didn't survive for so long to die like this." He sighed, " I really need a bath."

"And I'm dying to get out of this dress."

"I wish you wouldn't." He brushed his knuckles across my cheek and I glanced at the audience nervously. They were leaving through the main door and Kios's body had already been moved.

"Why?"

"Because..." he leaned forward.

"Yes?" my voice sounded so tiny that I wasn't even sure if he heard me.

"Because I'm taking you to the library." Straightening up, he offered me his hand.

I blinked up at him, my argument forgotten already. Dazed, I placed my hand in his as he led the way.

"Do you think Nish sent him ?" I asked.

"I believe so." His hand tightened on mine slightly, "Kios wasn't from around here. These men are from a kingdom called Deska. It is towards the south of our territory."