Chapter 56

The corridor that lead to the hall was empty and absolutely silent, confirming my suspicions. The only sounds were coming from our men fighting outside.

I turned to the healer in she glared back at me. A lot of things clicked into place then. Maria wasn't injured, she wasn't even here. I had been lured here.

For what?

The girl grabbed my arm and tugged me inside with surprising strength. I frowned. She didn't look like a Deskan, but then again I didn't know what Deskan women looked like.

It was still dark outside but the hall was dimly lit up. My eyes landed on a young girl, lying limp on the ground, in her underclothes. It was probably a healer.

Without waiting anymore, I slashed the fake healer with my sword, injuring the arm that she was holding me with. Her hiss told me all about her identity. She was probably an assassin sent to kill me.

Once I was free from her grip, I rushed to the healer. It was Ferra, Cleo's daughter. Not only was she unconscious but was tied up against a pillar. I tried to shake her gently as I cut her bonds. She was breathing which was good.

I didn't know why the assassin had left Ferra alive but I was grateful. I didn't know why she hadn't attacked me yet either. Taking an arrow, I shot the girl in her leg before she could run. She crumpled to the ground with a groan.

Not as strong as the men then.

"Did you miss me ?" A horribly familiar voice cooed from the far side of the hall before I could kill the girl.

I couldn't believe what the sight in front of me. Her face was completely different. It was half burnt, stringy hair hanging from the other side of her head. As she sneered at me, only a corner of her mouth lifted up. She looked as scary as she really was.

"Kaili?" I gasped, bracing myself for the fight to come.

I knew she was alive. They had never found a body. However, seeing her now, joining hands with Nish was a bit unexpected. The only giveaway about her was the sound of her voice and the way she stood. Putting my bow and quiver next to Ferra, I got rid of any excess weight I was carrying.

"Yes." She growled, staring at me, "it's me. Weren't expecting that were you? Weren't expecting me to be alive ?"

There was a sword in her hand and as she walked towards me, my anxiety grew tenfold. The look in her eyes was that of absolute madness.

"We don't have much time." The Deskan girl groaned, "she told the other spies where she was."

"Then let them come." Kaili growled, "I will kill every last one of them."

There was no way she could take on all the spies at once. I wondered if she was confident because she knew their weaknesses. If not, she was truly delusional. This wasn't the Kaili I'd known.

Back then, Kaili had always been extremely cunning. Even when things didn't go her way, she knew when to retreat and come back better prepared. When Dominic had banished her, she'd left meekly only to return when she knew I'd be alone. She'd waited for a better opportunity. 

Has everything changed?

In the past, her emotions were heavily influenced by Dominic. If that was still true, it could buy me some time. It was a desperate attempt but my options were slim. I was hoping it would throw her off somewhat.

Unless she's completely unhinged

"If you think killing me is going to clear your path to Dominic, you're wrong." I taunted, moving away from Ferra. When the fight began, I couldn't afford to have distractions.