Chapter 26

"Do you have to wear such clothes?" Dominic grimaced when I stepped out of the room.

"What's wrong ?" I frowned looking down at my navy blue gown. It wasn't even as revealing as the previous one.

"Everyone is going to be looking at you tonight." He sighed.

"You're exaggerating." I laughed and touched my hairdo. It was way more complicated than anything I was capable of. Ariadne had decided to step in when I told her that I was just planning to tie it up into a pony tail.

"Not at all." He actually looked disappointed. I hated seeing him upset.

"I could change." I suggested.

"And what good would that do ?" He shook his head.

"You're impossible." I laughed.

"Don't leave my side." He said, taking my hand.

"As if you'd let me." I rolled my eyes.

"As if you'd want to." He countered.

That part was true. I was nervous about meeting so many of Isolde's ministers. Being near him was the only positive highlight.

Although Dominic always dressed well, today he had gone all out. He looked every bit like a king in his formal attire.

"How are you going to explain Jace's presence ?" I asked him, trying not to think about the number of people attending the event. The function was in the big hall this time, above the arena, so I knew that the celebration was huge.

"I'll just say that he is here on a diplomatic mission." Dominic shrugged.

"Alright." I nodded. He wasn't ready to reveal my identity to the world and I trusted him.

"Ready?" He asked, when we reached the door.

"Not at all." I said but didn't get a chance to back out. The guards opened the doors, revealing what was truly a regal interior.

The room itself was huge. There were hundreds of people swarming about, laughing and talking.

It was as though they were aware of Dominic's presence even before we entered, all of them stopped and turned to look at us.

I gulped.

From the far end, Ariadne waved and I relaxed a little. My ease was short lived. The next moment, my gown caught into my sandals and I tripped.

Dominic's hand went to my waist, steadying me.

I wasn't usually so clumsy, sword fighting had really honed my reflexes, but then I wasn't usually in super long gowns and delicate sandals.

"Sorry." I whispered, hoping that I hadn't embarrassed him.

"I'll take it. Gives me an excuse to touch you." He chuckled, placing a kiss on the top of my head, a simple gesture that earned many gasps.

"Pig." I laughed and he gave a shrug.

"My lord." A man walked up to us with a woman in tow, "Congratulations."

"Rais." Dominic gave a nod of acknowledgement and looked to his wife, "Leah."

From one look I could judge that they were wealthy. I concluded that they were ministers. While Rais was grinning in a friendly manner, his wife was looking at me as though I was a piece of trash.