Chapter 45

"Are you sure this is safe?" Ariadne asked.

"It's not like we have a choice." Jace muttered, "we need to take a halt."

We had crossed Ralia's border just the night before and were only two towns away from the capital. One of the horses had mysteriously fallen sick. We couldn't travel any further without a replacement or recovery.

The nearest town was some distance away. In the meantime, we were stuck in the forest.

"I don't like this." Ariadne huffed, "something doesn't feel right."

"It's an animal and it is sick." Jace sighed, "there is nothing more to it."

Ariadne pursed her lips but I could see that she was worried. In truth, so was I but Jace blamed it on the fact that I was just anxious due to the entire situation.

"Come on, let's get something to eat. It's been hours. The horse isn't going to get better and waiting isn't going to solve anything." Jace stepped out of the carriage and stretched.

"Do you think I'm being paranoid?" Ariadne asked in a hushed tone.

"Honestly?" I sighed, "I don't even know anything anymore."

She nodded and we followed Jace out.

"Do they know you?" Ariadne asked, "Do you think they'll let us borrow a horse?"

"Aria, relax." Jace draped an arm across her shoulder, "I don't think they know me and I don't want to borrow a horse from them. We'll find a decent place to stay and I'll call for another carriage from the capital."

"A decent place?" Ariadne frowned.

"Just trust me, ok?" Jace whispered to her. She blushed and gave a nod.

It reminded me of Dominic. Everything did. It hadn't even been a week since I last saw him but I missed him regardless.

"I'd like to stay behind till you find a place." I sighed.

"Are you sure?" Jace asked.

"Why?" Ariadne scowled, "this is not a good idea. Splitting up is not a good idea."

"I'm just tired. I'd like to take a nap." I muttered.

"You can nap later." Ariadne insisted, "we should stay together."

Before we could argue further, we heard horses at a distance. Ariadne drew her sword but Jace stopped her.

"It's not the enemy." He chuckled.

"How'd you know?" Ariadne rolled her eyes.

"Look." He pointed out.

Looking closely, I noticed soldiers with golden helmets and chest plates.

"What're they doing here?" I asked.

"I guess he couldn't wait." Jace laughed.

There were about a dozen of them. Behind them was a man without a helmet. His hair was wavy, reaching his neck and his face was covered with a dark beard. There was a crown on his head. It was king John.

When they stopped, John jumped off the horse and walked straight to us, staring at me. His gaze was alit with recognition.