Chapter 24

It did not take them very long to return. At least that's what the others said. To me it felt like a lifetime. We knew they were back because the entire palace was chanting:

"Long live the King!"

I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted from my shoulders when I heard that. Dominic had succeeded, he had finally avenged his parents.

We rushed down to see that the entire staff had gathered near the entrance of the palace. Leo was the first one I saw. Maybe it was because he was huge and had flaming orange hair or maybe it was because he was cheering really loudly.

My eyes searched for Dominic and soon enough, I found him. For once, he was laughing along with everyone else. He looked so young and carefree. It was a rare sight to see him so happy in public.

Jace draped his hand across my shoulders and rubbed them. I put a hand over my mouth, hoping that the pitiful sobbing noises would stop. Ariadne was too busy cheering with the others and Maria was standing quietly in the back, away from the crowd.

Everyone cleared the way for them and soon, the chanting turned to clapping.

"We avenged King William! We killed the traitor !" A soldier yelled and the roaring began anew.

"They really love him don't they?" Jace shouted over the noise.

I nodded enthusiastically. It was evident how beloved Dominic was. That just made me want to cry more. He raised a hand and they silenced immediately. The power he held over the crowd never ceased to amaze me.

"It took me years to get here, years to get justice done." Dominic spoke, "Isolde was always mine, mine to protect and mine to take care of. I know that many of you were saddened when my parents passed away, I know how my uncle treated you but we have defeated him tonight. Tonight, we celebrate our victory!"

Just like that, the air was filled with a deafening roar. Their enthusiasm was contagious and soon, even I was cheering with Ariadne. The behaviour probably didn't suit a Queen but it was totally worth it.

I waited patiently for Dominic to get off Eurus and come looking for me. He eyed the arm that Jace had around me and his jaw ticked.

Stupid man.

"You did it." I beamed up at him.

Apparently, that was enough to bring the smile back on his face. He swept me up into a kiss. I blushed when everyone started cheering again. He laughed and I joined in. Jace stood awkwardly, trying to look anywhere else.

"I have a different celebration for us in mind." Dominic whispered in my ear before letting me go.

The blush intensified tenfold and I gulped, extremely nervous.

"There you are!" Leo came rushing out of the crowd. He frowned at me, "why would you cry at a time like this?"

"Happy tears." I explained.

"Women." He shook his head and turned to Dominic, "what do you want to do with your Aunt?"

"I'm going to let her rot for the rest of her life." Dominic said, "that is a punish cruel enough to fit her crimes. She will suffer, knowing that her son and husband are dead because of her plans."

Leo nodded.

"Well done your majesty." Leo laughed.