Movies and Socs (Chapter 2)

I decided to just wear what I had worn all day, but put a pink jacket, that I like to pull the sleves to my elbows, over it and slip on some converse, leaving my hair alone. This felt so weird. . . I mean, me and Pony hang out all the time. . . But this seems like a date. . . Stop it, Doe! It's not a date if your best friend is taking you and his friend is tagging along!

I walked out of the bathroom to see Two-Bit standing at the door, his keys in hand. Oh no. I know what he was planning.

"No, Two-Bit. You're not driving me there!" I ordered.

"C'mon, Doe." He begged. "The Socs have been spotted all over town and I just want you to be safe."

"I will be." I told him. "I have a blade and I'll be with Ponyboy and Johnny. Everything will be fine."

"Well. . ." He thought for a minute while I have him the puppy eyes. "No." He snapped. I punched his shoulder and he laughed.

"I'm kidding." He smiled. "Go on, be safe." He opened the door for me and I gave him a quick hug before stepping out into the cold air. It was really dark and the street lights were the only sorce of light I had.

I was realived when I saw Johnny and Ponyboy waiting for me at the gate in jeans, a plain shirt, and a jean jacket.. I pulled down my sleves and smiled.

"Hi, Pony." I said.

"Hey, Doe." He grinned back. I looked over at Johnny, who was keeping his fists in the pockets of his jean jacket and kept his face hidden.

"You alright there, Johnnycake?" I asked him, rubbing his arm.

"Yeah, I'm fine." He didn't sound convencing, but I dropped my hand and walked into the drive-in by Pony's side. We found three emty seats at the veary top of the row, so I sat between the boys. This was some beach movie slash romance slash action. I wasn't really paying attention, though. I was so sleepy, but it was too cold to fall asleep. I layed my head on Ponyboy's shoulder, but he didn't seem to mind. Johnny looked like he didn't notice, so I grabbed hold of his hand. He just rapped my hand in his and shivered from the cold. This wasn't weird, for us. We've grown up with each other, so we're like brothers and sister. There was no romance at all between me and anyone in the gang. . .

We stayed in that position, until the movie ended. I lifted my head and let go of Johnny's hand. We walked down the steps and down the street. There was, almost, no one there, so we got out pretty easy.

We were walking down the street, laughing about some jokes Pony was telling about the movie. Just as we were a couple of feet from the drive-in, a blue Mustang pulled up beside us. We all stopped, but my mind was screaming for me to run. Pony looked tough, Johnny looked scared, I stood with my eyes wide.

Two boys stepped out of their fancy car. One was tall and the other was dark headed, both a Soc.

"Well, what do we have here, Bob?" The tall one asked.

"It seems to me that we have a couple of greasers with us, Randy." The dark haired one said, an evil smile across his face. I tucked my thumbs in my jean pockets and moved my head to the side, trying to look tough.

"Watch it, Socs." Pony snapped. "You're not on your territory."

"Zip it, greaser!" Bob told him. My jaw locked as Bob moved closer to me, looking in my eyes.

"Why don't you come with us?" He asked.

"Why don't you just turn your Mustang around and go back to your momma, egg face?" I spat in his eye. When he was done rubbing his eye, he turned back to me. He moved his hand to my face, as if he was going to rub my cheek or pull my hair, but Ponyboy swung his fist through the air and made contact with Bob's face. Randy took Pony by the shirt, but I punched him in the nose. When they looked up, I was ready to through another punch; but, before I could do anything, Randy's hand had slapped my left cheek. I fell to the gravel as Ponyboy tackled Randy to the ground. Johnny was at my side in a moment.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sounding scared.

"I'm fine." I assured him. When we looked up at Ponyboy, he had chased the Socs away. Their Mustang was nowhere to be seen and Pony turned to us and I noticed he had a busted lip. I stood.

"Are you alright?" Pony asked, sounding proud of what he had done. I nodded.

"How dose that feel?" I pointed to his lip.

"Great." He smiled. I couldn't help but laugh. Pony could be so funny, sometimes. We got to his house first, so when he went inside, me and Johnny were left together.

"Are you sure you're okay, Johnnycake?" I asked, noticing he was still shaking and I don't think it was from the cold.

"Those were the boys." He told me, keeping his eyes on the ground.

"That gave you that scar?" I was getting mad. If I had known that, I would have given them one more punch.

". . . Yeah. . ." He sighed. I rapped my right arm around him.

"It's okay, Johnny. I'll get them for doing that." I assured him. He smiled.

"Thanks, Doe." After he said that, we were silent for the rest of the walk. When he was safely in his house, I ran back to mine. The wormth of my dark house felt so nice over my light skin. I saw Two-Bit, asleep on the couch. I took a fuzzy blanket off the back of a near by chair and covered him with it. I went to my room and slipped into the warmth of my bed.

"Thanks, Doe." I could still hear Johnny's soft, sweet voice.

"Hi, Doe." Pony's voice still was in my mind, as well and I smiled to myself before being swallowed into a deep sleep.