Hospital (Chapter 6)

My eyes fluttered open and I had no idea where I was. I looked to my side and saw Sodapop sitting on a stool beside my bed. He was holding my hand.

"Soda?" I asked. He looked at me.

"Doe, thank gosh you're awake!" He sighed. I shook my head.

"What happened?"

"You got hit by a car." He explained. "This Soc, Randy, was riding down the road when you ran in front of him. He didn't have time to stop and he hit you."

"Where's Two-Bit?" I noticed my brother was no where to be found.

"Well, he beat Randy up and a cop broke the fight up, but he took Two-Bit to jail."

"Soda, we have to get him out!" I exclaimed, getting worried. My brother was in jail, we have to do something!

"Don't worry, Steve is getting him out." He said. I sighed.

"Well, Steve better have a lot of money to get Two-Bit out." I chuckled.

"I'm sure he'll find something out." Soda smiled his heart-stopping smile and I bet I blushed. Then, our eyes met. He leaned in. Oh no. What am I going to do? Is Soda about to kiss me? Sense when has he liked me? Oh no. Oh no. He's about an inch away. . .

"Doe!" Two-Bit busted through the door and Soda's head snapped back. Thank you, Two-Bit!

"I came as soon as I could!" He said. "That stupid little Soc needed a lesson taught to him."

"From what I heard, so did you." I raised my eyebrows. He rolled his eyes and looked at my hand, still glued to Soda's. I let go and tried to change his train of thought.

"So, have you found Pony and Johnny, yet?" I asked. Two-Bit shook his head and Soda looked at the floor.

"No." Said my brother. "I talked to Dally on the way here. He said he didn't know anything, but it seemed like there was more to his side of the story." He explained. If what Two-Bit is saying is true, could Dally be hiding him from us? If so, then why? Could he do such a thing?

Before I could find an answer, a nurse walked in the room.

"Hi, Doe. How are you feeling?" She asked.

"Fine." I said.

"No pain?"

"Nope."

"Okay, well you should be able to leave later today. Keith Mathews, would you come this way?" She asked my brother. He nodded and followed her out of the room.

"How long have I been here?" I asked Sodapop. I must have been here for a while if I'm leaving today.

"Two nights." Soda yawned. I, then, noticed the bags under his eyes.

"Soda, did you sleep here?" I demanded. His chocolate brown eyes met mine, again, and they stayed like that while he talked.

"I couldn't go home not knowing if you were safe or not." He told me. My heart skipped a beat and I thought we were going to kiss, again, until Two-Bit came back in the room.

"They said you could leave in just a minute, if you would like." He said. I nodded.

"Okay, just let me get some clothes on." I slid out from under the blankets and Sodapop left the room with Two-Bit. I slipped on some jeans and a blue shirt then let the softness of my shoes glide over my feet. When I was finished, I walked out of the room to see my brother's eyes, as well as Sodapop's, looking at the other side of the hospital. I turned my head to see what they were looking at, and understood why they were so shocked. Sitting in a chair, right across the room from where I stood, was Ponyboy.