A Change Of Heart (Chapter 22)

(Doe's point of veiw)

I sighed as I stood off the couch and made my way to the door. I didn't want to wake anyone up, but I wanted to take a walk and clear my head. So much has been going on, it's crazy. . . I just need some time to think.

I opened the door. I knew Two-Bit and Sodapop would be worried, but I'd come back, later. I, really, needed to do this.

I pushed myself through the opening and was about to shut the door behind me, when Ponyboy jogged up to the door.

"What do you think you're doing?" He whispered.

"Just going for a walk. You can come if you want." I told him. He closed the door and followed me away from the house. We were silent, of course, but it didn't last long. Soon, a red Mustang pulled up and stopped beside us. Pony stood in front of me.

"Got a blade?" He whispered. I felt my back pocket. Shoot.

"No." I mumbled. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and I followed his moves. Then, a blond boy stepped out of the car. But he was alone. This would be an easy victory.

"Came alone, Soc?" Pony said, harshly. The blond scoffed.

"I ain't afraid of a greaser like you. All you have to protect you is a girl." He laughed. "How scarey."

"She ain't protecting me." Ponyboy stood straight.

"Aww, how sweet." He rolled his eyes. "You're protecting your girlfriend. How about this, Greaser? We'll fight for her. If you win, I'll leave you alone. If I win, the girl comes with me." Pony swung his fist through the air and made contact with the blond's face. The boy's nose started bleeding and he looked at Pony, shocked.

"That's how it's going to be?" He demanded.

"She's not part of any bargin I make with you." Ponyboy spoke through clentched teeth. The boy laughed. Pony tackled the boy to the ground and started punching the boy in the face. Blood went everywhere and I started to feel dizzy. I gripped the wall behind me so I wouldn't fall. More blood stained the pavment. I took deep breaths.

Ponyboy stood and looked down at the boy, who was knocked out, cold.

"I guess I won." He spit on the boy and I staired at the blood everywhere. I felt like I might throw up and I fell on my side. Pony caught me.

"Doe? Can you hear me?" He panicked. A worried expression replaced his perfect face.

"T-the blood." I mumbled.

"Do you get sick when you see it?" He asked. It started raining.

"No, remember? We went to the movies with Johnny and you were bleeding. I've got jumped before and I bled." I said. The world started spinning. Water dripped off of his nose and landed on my cheek.

"W-What do I do?" He sniffed.

"Shh, don't panic, Pony." I told him, rubbing my hand over his left cheek. "Everything will be okay." My voice was shaky.

He placed his hand on my right cheek and gave me a sad smile. Then, he leaned in and our lips touched. This brought back a memory. The day of my first kiss. It was Pony who kissed me. Then, it brought back some questions. Did I make the right choice with telling Ponyboy no? Should I have chosen Ponyboy, instead of Sodapop? Is it too late to change my mind?

We, finally, pulled away and Pony starred into my eyes. I noticed his eyes were a gray color. Why hadn't I noticed that sooner?

"Should I carry you back to my house?" He asked. He tried to stand, but I took his arm and held him down.

"No! Don't. Just let the dizziness wear off." I sighed. I wasn't dizzy, anymore. But, I didn't want this moment to end. Just having Ponyboy this close to me, it was overwelming.

He leaned in closer to me and I could feel his breath on my face. He, slightly, smiled. I grinned back, weakly. I wrapped my arms around his neck and brought him into one last kiss.