Sick And Needing A Break (Chapter 23)

"Is she breathing?"

"Yes, but it's kinda cold. . . Let's get them to the house."

"What do you think happened?

"I don't know. They weren't bleeding. . . The boy's body was, though. I don't know why they would just be laying out here." I felt two strong arms lift me and start walking as the disscusion continued. I wanted to open my eyes and see what was going on, but it was hard. My back was killing me and my neck didn't feel any better. It stopped raining, but it was warmer, now. Although, that might be the body heat radiating off the body that was carrying me to "the house", wherever that is.

Slowly, I opened my eyes to see the clear, blue sky over me. What was going on?

I turned my head to see Sodapop carrying me. I turned my head the other way and saw Darry carrying Ponyboy.

"Darry, she's awake!" Soda called. I rolled my head over to see him starring at me.

"Soda?" I mumbled.

"Yeah, I'm here. Don't worry, we're almost home." He explained. I didn't know which "home" he was talking about, but I guess it didn't really matter.

"Soda, there was a Soc. . . Pony punched him. . . Blood went everywhere. . ." My story came out in little gasps. I remembered the body, laying there. Bloody.

"Shh, it's okay. It's all over, now." He soothed. Soon, I was greeted with a new warmth. It was a sheet that was placed over my small figure. I was layed on a mattress and felt an arm drapped over my waist before I fell asleep.

~

I woke up with a major headache and a cold sweat. I didn't feel so good. Like I might. . .

I stood and ran across the Curtis' house to the toilet and puked. And puked. And puked.

When I thought my body had nothing left, I laid on the bathroom floor, out of breath.

"Doe?" Ponyboy's soft voice came from the doorway. I used all the power left in me to sit up and look at him. He was still in is pajamas and he had a bed head. Worry filled his eyes.

"Hey, Pony." I said in a weak voice. He kneeled beside me.

"Are you okay?" I shook my head.

"I feel horrible." I caughed and leaned my body to the tub.

"I'm sorry, Doe. Gosh, I'm so stupid!"

"No, you're not." I told him.

"Yes, I am." He protested. "It's my fault you're sick. I should have carried you back home."

"I told you to leave me." I reminded him.

"I shouldn't have fallen asleep." He clearefied. "I should have taken you home when it started raining. Why don't I use my head?!"

"Pony, it's not your fault." I rubbed his arm. "Now, I would hug you but I don't want you getting sick, too." I felt sick, again. I made sure to get everthing in the toilet and not on the floor. Ponyboy's hand glidded up and down my back in a soothing manner. When I was done, I slumped on the floor.

"Can I get you something?" He asked.

"A glass of water and my toothbrush?"

"Sure." He patted my back and left me alone. I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. The sick feeling wore off, after a while, and I heard more footsteps. But it wasn't Pony's.

"Doe? Are you okay?" Soda asked, sitting beside me.

"Fine. Just a little sick." I smiled.

"A little?" He covered his nose. "I think a lot." He chuckled and I pushed him.

"Ha ha, you're so funny." I smirked.

"Thank ya." He gave me that heart-stopping smile and it reminded me of what I need to tell him. He needed to know. I should tell him now, before Pony gets back. But how do I start this?

"Uh, Soda? Can I ask you something?" Nice, Doe. Keep cool.

"Anything." He assured me. I took a deep breath.

"Do you think we could take a break?" The words rushed out and his smile faded.

"A break?" He asked. "Why?"

"It's just that. . . A lot of things have been happening lately and I need some time to clear my head. And I think, maybe, I could do that a little easyer if I did it alone." I told him. He stood.

"Fine. If that's how you feel, I'll leave you alone. But don't expect me to come back." With that, he left me alone. Then, Ponyboy apeared and sat my water beside me and gave me my toothbrush.

"Toothpaste is in the cabnet." He said. On his way out, he said one more thing. "I'm sorry." And he was gone. And I was alone. Again.