Chapter Two

I didn't really know what I expected when I walked into biology that afternoon. 

       Maybe Jack would sit next to me; maybe he would become my new biology partner, or maybe even make a grand gesture. I mean, the least he could do would be to look up at me. But he didn't even do that.  

       I don't know, maybe Jack just didn't care for the games anymore. He could have given up, finally realizing how stupid and cruel these games are after years of participating in them. Althought I find that highly doubtful. 

       And besides, Jack is an overachiever. He would never just bow out of the games and let his shithead brothers step in to collect the girl. No, he wants to win; he needs to win. Simply to prove himself.

       But why wasn't he trying? And why did it bother me so much?

       He hasn't even made an effort to talk to me all class. I don't think he even glanced in my direction of the classroom, for that matter. Was I not good enough for him? Was I not pretty enough, or smart enough for Sir Jack Henderson? Well fuck you, Jack.

       Did I really care what Jack, a Henderson brother, thought of me? Last week I wouldn't even care if they thought I was the ugliest girl that Satan himself had cursed to walk these halls but now... Now I wanted them to like me. I wanted them to desire me. And that frightened me more than the games themselves.

       What was so great about the Henderson brothers, anyways. Besides for their money, amazingly stunning good looks, brains, and the humorous personalities they all seem to hold, and charming wit, and...

       I need to stop.

       This is just a game, and I was a piece to be played with. None of them would ever like me. They wanted to simply collect my virginity like it was nothing and leave me, alone and broken. So why should I give in to their twisted version of amusement? It wasn't right, and I refuse to be treated this way.

       I was so caught up in my thoughts, that I hadn't realized that the bell was about to ring. So when it did, I almost had a heart attack and dropped everything off my desk from the books to my erasers. 

       I groaned and stooped down to gather my things as people rushed out the door and into the noisy hallway, not even bothering to consider to help me. A few did giggle at me, though.

       Jerks, I thought bitterly.

       Long, sturdy hands with pen marks all down the side began to help me. I froze, stopping collecting my pens. I didn't even need to look up to know who it was.

       "I believe these are yours." Jack said lightly, handing me my book.

       When I saw his face smiling down at me, I felt a bit nauseous. 

       "T-thank you," I stuttered, flushing in embarrassment.

       Jack grabbed my hand and proceeded to pull me up onto my feet; his hands were strong and dry. I felt even more embarrassed at this gesture. I needed to leave, and now.

       I give him a small, polite smile and begin to walk towards the door. I quickly shuffled down the hallway and pass the groups of students chatting loudly amoung themselves. I don't know why, but I just did not want to be near him. 

       Once I was to my locker, I opened the door and shoved my head inside. I sighed, breathing in the smell of books and pencil lead. I knew I looked silly to people passing by, but I didn't really give two shits.