Chapter Four

I shoved yet another spoon full of chocolate ice cream into my mouth as I stared blankly at the TV in front of me. 

       I heard Carrie squeal beside me, which I assumed was because Jake has been tickling her for the last five minutes, but I didn't look over to see.

       It was Friday night and me and Carrie were supposed to be having a girls night. We were, too; she had brought over three different flavor tubs of ice cream and I supplied the varieties of chips and sodas. We were both dressed up in our favorite sweats. We even looked through millions of romance movies until we settled on The Lucky One (Zach Efron was a major celebrity crush of Carrie's). Our little party was going great until my older brother decided to crash it.

       "Stop! Stop!" Carrie cried breathlessly beside me, her body twitching in all directions. "I can't breathe!"

       Jake just laughed evilly and continued to tickle her. 

       It was obvious that Jake liked Carrie. He has since three years ago It wasn't exactly that hard to figure out; whenever Carrie was with me, Jake just so happened to show up even though he practically hated me. 

       He would do anything Carrie asked him to do and talked about her non stop, even though she was my best friend. Jake always denies liking Carrie whenever asked, but everyone knows he truly does. Everyone except Carrie.

      Everyone suspects that Carrie likes Jake back, but I don't know. It's not like she could just openly say that she had some huge thing for my brother;

      One, that would be extremely awkward for the both of us. And two, I just wouldn't know how to react to her telling me that. I'd probably just stare at her in shock for a while until she finally snapped me back to reality.

       I grabbed Jake's hand and pulled it away from my best friend's shaking body roughly. "Okay, Jake. That's enough." I spat, my patience running low with the two.

       Jake abruptly stopped and stared at me. "Fine then, Miss Grumpy Pants."

       I rolled my eyes and threw a chip at him. He quickly dodged it, sending me a smug look afterwards.

       "So, Dianna." Carrie said, having straightened herself out. "When is your next date with one of the brothers?"

       I shrugged and took up another spoonful of ice cream. "I don't know," I replied through the food in my mouth.

       "Never if you keep this up." Jake retorted, disgust heavily shown on his face. Carrie slapped his chest playfully, a grin never leaving her face.

      I opened my mouth wide so the couple could see the mushed contents inside my mouth. Both of their faces turned up in digust and I smiled proudly.

      Baby you light up my world like nobody else, the way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed. But when you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell-

      I lunged for my phone and quickly answered it, not wanting my embarrassing ringtone to play any further; Jake simply snorted at me.

      "Hello?" I said, hardly swallowing the last bit of ice cream left in my mouth.

      "Yes, is this Dianna Becken?" A boy's voice asked. He sounded older than me, but also extremely familiar. 

      I plugged one of my ears with my finger to block out Carrie and Jake's laughs beside me. "Yeah, that's me." I answered.

      "Uh, this is Matt... Matt Henderson..."

      I quickly stood up from the couch and turned away from my best friend and older brother. I muttered a small, "be right back" to them before bouncing up the stairs to talk to Matt Henderson in private.

      "I hope you don't mind me calling," Matt said; he sounded horribly awkward. "Ryan gave me your number and I just... I decided to call... I probably shouldn't have... I'm sorry."

      "No, no." I said, settling myself down on the corner of my bed. "It's perfectly fine. I don't mind at all."

      "Oh." Matt cleared his throat. "Uhm, listen... I was- I was wondering... If you know, possibly... You would like to... Have a Harry Potter marathon with me?" I could hear Matt's embarrassed sigh across the line and I bit my tongue to hold back a little giggle. "That sounded really lame. I'm sorry, it's just Ryan told me you liked that stuff... And I really like that stuff too, and it just seemed like a good idea at the time... It probably wasn't; wow, I'm a loser." Matt laughed breathlessly. "But you know, if you actually wanted to, you could come over tomorrow? You probably don't want to... But the rest of my family won't be home this weekend- don't ask why -and we could order food and stuff and oh god, I just sound even lamer.... I'm going to let you speak now, yeah..."

      I laughed lightly, biting my lower lip. "I'd love to have a Harry Potter marathon with you tomorrow. What time do you want me to come over?"

      "How's four sound?" I could hear the relief flooding in Matt's voice.

      I smiled to myself. "Sounds great."

      "Okay, great." Matt's smile swam vividly in his voice. "Well, I've embarrassed myself enough for now. I guess I'll eee you tomorrow?"

      I chuckled to myself. "Yeah, see you."

      I hung up my phone and found myself downstairs again, feeling a bit lighter than I had before I slugged up the steps. I fell in the space on the couch between Carrie and Jake and they stopped bickering playfully immediately.

      "Who was that?" Carrie questioned, a knowing smile forming on her rosy face.

      "Matt Henderson." I answered almost airly.

      Jake knitted his eyebrows together. '"Matt Henderson?" He echoed. "I heard he was like, a major dork."

      I frowned and turned to my brother. "Oh well? He seems to be the nicest of the brothers." 

      "Nice? No Henderson brother is nice." Jake stated dumbly. "They all just want you to rip off your pants."

      "Concerned for your sister, are we?" Carrie asked, grinning and raising her eyebrows. 

      Jake deadpanned. "Yes." He said boldly, making Carrie's smile fade. "I know these boys, I've gone to school with all of them. They are after one thing and one thing only. And I am sorry, but I do not want to see my sister knocked up and me having to get a job just to feed a little mess that isn't even my problem." 

      Carrie whistled under her breath and I turned my gaze away from Jake, obviously slightly embarrassed by my brother's speech.

      "Well, no need to worry, bro." I spoke up, breaking the silence. I clapped his back lightly. "I won't be getting pregnant any time soon." 

      Jake laughed and said "Good."

      And with this, we went back to our normal ways of Carrie and Jake goofing around while I try to watch the TV and eat as much ice cream I can in a small amount of room. 

/ AUTHOR'S NOTE /

shit shit this chapter was extremely short but I promise 100% that the next chapter will be a lot longer and more fun and just better, okay?

I pinky promise.

and this was more of a way for y'all to warm up to jake and carrie but whateves yolo

/ AUTHOR'S NOTE /