16: Marcel Meets You

Imagine: You're new to living in New Orleans. And, it is your 21st birthday and your best friend has arranged a surprise party in Rousseau's Bar. A chance to let your hair down and meet new friends in your new neighbourhood. You told your friends that you didn't want a fuss on your birthday as you needed time to relax after your 'big move' and all of the unpacking that comes with it. You had arranged to meet your best friend at the bar, but she made other arrangements than just a 'quiet drink'.

You had opened all of the gifts and cards for your birthday, and one of those cards were from someone you didn't know - Marcel. How did he know you? How did he even know it was your birthday? How did he know where you live? You took a long bewildered look at it; thinking- who could it be? Then you heard a knock on your door. Your best friend, Y/B/F/N (Your best friends name), was here; excited as always: which made you forget about it. At least for a while.

"Y/N, I have a drink waiting for you downstairs." She told you, gesturing for you to begin to make your way to the bar. After you slipped the car into your clutch, you followed her downstairs as the base of the music pumped through your chest. You wore an ocean blue party dress, it was quite short but you liked it. You were allowed upstairs in the bar to leave your gifts and cards because your friends dad was the boss there, not awkward as you knew him to. But your quiet arrangement had evolved into a massive party, liquor and alcohol spilling everywhere and people jumping as they raved to the music. You swear she had invited the whole of New Orleans. But before you could turn around and yell at her, she was gone.

"I may as well have a drink before I call a cab." You muttered, squeezing past bodies to get to the bar. Once you leant against the wood, you raised your hand to gesture one of the men over to you. He finally came over and you decided to get something subtle,

"Malibu and coke please." You yelled over the music and he poured you a glass, passing it to you across the bar. After a couple of seconds, you had drank it and was asking for another. As you lifted up your hand, another holding it firmly from behind - causing you to twirl until you faced him. His other hand caught your waist and suddenly you were on the dance floor. His tanned complexion contrasted with his hazelnut eyes. He stared deeply at you, as if he had been craving your presence for quite a while now.

"Hi," You said once you had caught your breath. His appearance and sudden movement definitely took your breath away, "I'm Y/N, and you are?" You asked and he smiled, flashing a pair of gorgeous snow teeth and blinking at you.

"I'm Marcel, sorry for making you jump." He spoke, letting his name roll casually off his lips. You couldn't smell alcohol in his breath, that was a plus. Beforehand, you had had many men be kind towards you only when they were drunk.

"It's fine." You replied, placing a hand on your head and smiling upwards at the ceiling, "It's just this doesn't usually happen." Suddenly you came to a conclusion,

"You're that guy who sent me a birthday card, right?" You asked and he nodded, swaying to the music as you noticed his hand resting on your waist. Automatically, you hadn't realised you had placed your arms around his neck.

"Birthdays are important, sometimes you never want to forget them." Marcel told you, drawing you closer to him with instinct. You swallowed, you could only see him now. His eyes were sparkling as they shared a deep connection. Every breath you took, he did the same and it was terrifying that you allowed yourself to be this close to a stranger.

"Words of advice from somebody I don't particularly know." You joked, smiling at him as you forgot about the party. Suddenly he spun you out at arms length and then ravelled you back towards him, you finished with your hands smack-bang on his chest.

 "Pretty good dancer, Marcel." You praised him, watching your hands travel to the top of his shoulders. His hands found their way back to your waist and he pulled you closer again, comforting and protecting you.

"You might say so yourself." He replied, leaning forward. For a second you thought he was going to kiss you but he only swerved away so his lips were at your ear. Your heart raced at the sudden movement,

"But I'm pretty sure that I've already made this the best birthday ever before you even met me."