Day Four: Inspiration & Messages

4: Describe your inspiration, and what message you wish to bring across.

RECOLLECTION OF QUESTIONABLE EVENTS:

I’d say that generally, I get inspiration from everything in life: family, friends, strangers, books, music, and movies. Though most of the time, I wouldn’t be able to pin-point the exact source for the inspiration.

In ROQE, a lot of the ideas actually came from my personal life; most of the ‘events’ are based on things that have happened to me, my sister or one of my aunts.

Honestly, it’s a story that was always meant to be told. My family is slightly crazy, loud, and is always getting into odd predicaments. At some point when I was younger, I began to jot down certain things that I found funny. In the beginning of 2013, my little sister finally convinced me to write a story…and ROQE was born.

Now some things are true, and others are completely made-up. As I continue to write this, there will be a mixture of both (real and fake). Have fun guessing what is what!

Now for a message? I’m not sure that everything needs to have a message…sometimes I read just to have a laugh or escape. When I wrote this, that was my personal intention: to write something that would make me laugh and less stressed.

If you were to look into it more, maybe it has some lessons about accepting family (and yourself) and sticking together. Maybe.

CON ARTIST LEGACY:

I’d also say that generally…everything inspires me.

CAL is special though; in the sense that at some point in my life, I began to invent characters in order to play out scenes in my head (I’m not crazy, it’s not weird).

These characters have been with me for YEARS, and I’m finally telling their story. Sometimes I feel that I’m too emotionally invested to do them justice. My plan is to finish the book (few more chapters), and then dedicate my free time into making it what it is in my head.

The inspiration for this would be all the crime fiction, mystery and chick-lit novels I've read in my life (Stephanie Plum Series, The Spellman Files, In Death Series). I go through phases where I switch between mystery/thriller and mystery/humor. There IS a difference, and this would fall in the latter.

As for messages…maybe something similar to ROQE (the stories are related after all). I’d say a big part of the story is accepting her reality, and growing up…although that doesn’t necessarily mean that she changes. Maybe.

VEERAN:

LIFE INSPIRES ME OKAY.

Now that we have that out of the way…Veeran is once again different. When I was in middle school/early high school, I was all about fantasy and sci-fi (something I’m getting back into). But not so much anymore, so I can’t take all the credit for this story.

Like I said before, this is a spin-off of my sister’s story. So my sister inspired me. And although Veeran is all my creation (characters/plots/ect), the world(s) were initially created by both of us brain-storming at Starbucks.

I’ve recently been inspired by some of my favorite WP authors: Annany, PaigeyLou, Lady_Lucia, and xxmajaine (all fantasy writers)…they’re the main reason for this endeavor.

And despite all the outside influences, my own personal interests (crime novels and shows) still tend to create intrigue, suspense, and/or some kind of mystery in all my work. I’d also say my characters tend to be snarky/sassy (wait is this all my writing style?).

The result of all this…is a secret army trying to save five planets (maybe), and some traitors who try to destroy those worlds (maybe). Do with that what you want.

The message for this? I think this book covers more genres, and maybe more messages? I’d say a big part of the story shows that the world is actually gray…and that not everyone is evil/good; most people are a mixture.

The story also deals with characters acting on blind faith, and not having all the facts. No one in the story…has the full story. I think it makes their reactions interesting, both in the context of their own personal bubbles, and compared to what’s actually going on.

I haven’t finished planning…so I’m sure there are more, but that’s it for now.