Atychiphobia

Atychiphobia ~ Fear of Failure

"Hello, Professor Crane," Darcy greeted.

Crane looked up from his work and slightly smiled.

This was his first session with Darcy, and he was going to make it meaningful.

She placed her bag on the floor and sat in a chair.

"So what's this experiment you're conducting?"

Crane smiled at her. "I'm glad you asked. Come. Follow me."

She trailed after him as he led her down to the schools basement.

He stopped in front of a door. "Be honest," he said and smiled. He pushed open the door and Darcy inhaled at the man tied to the table.

He screamed but it came out muffled due to the rag shoved in his mouth. His eyes were crazed and glossy from tears.

She turned to Crane but he now wore a burlap sack mask.

Darcy looked at him for a few seconds.

"So you're scarecrow," she said finally. He held out his arms and bowed.

"That is me," he said. "And, you, Ms. Santiago are the Mistress of Fear."

She did a mock curtsy. She then turned her attention back to the man and walked slowly toward him, running her hand along the table.

"Who is he?"

"A drug addict and cheater," Crane said. "I'm using a new type of toxin on him. This one is much more......maddening"

Darcy paused. "What do you want from me? Don't lie. I know you brought me here for a reason."

He walked towards her and handed her a knife. "First," he said, "take care of him."

She slowly wrapped her fingers around the knife and then turned back to the man. She yanked the cloth out of his mouth.

"Tell me," she whispered running the knife along his cheek, "what do you fear?"

He sniffed. "Failure."

"Atychiphobia," Darcy chuckled.

She pulled back the knife "Zhech," she whisperered and swung her arm down.

The knife clattered to the floor and the man finally opened his eyes after stiffening his body. He did a check of himself, no blood.

Darcy turned to her professor with a sly grin.

"I'm not that stupid," she said. "I know when I'm being set up." She placed her hand on his chest and grinned, she spun on her heels and walked to the door. "Au Revoir, professor! Let the game begin."

She was gone. Crane pulled off his mask and clenched his hair in his fists.

He grabbed the knife off the floor, with a handkerchief and repeatedly stabbed the man on the table. Cleaning any trace of blood off himself, he grasped his phone and dialed three numbers.

He waited.

"This is 911, what is your emergency?"

"I'd like to report a murder," Crane said. He took a deep breath and clicked his tongue.
".....I also know who the Mistress of Fear is."

Your turn, Ms. Santiago.