Chapter 8 - Memories of the Past

I've been really focused on Haru ever since Makoto and I returned to friends. Every night I've had that dream of Haru Fujioka my childhood friend. His smiling face stayed in my head. I really wanted to meet him again. I still wonder about this Haru Fujioka though, they're so different though. The Haru now doesn't seem at all like the Haru I knew, but for some reason I like this dude. He has a bit of warmth in him, Yui, Asako's sister was the one who made me realized that I liked him. I blushed in bed thinking about these thoughts. Today was a Saturday today so I slept in to ten. I got out of bed and fixed myself up. I had on a baseball tee with black jeggings rolled up. I tied my messy hair into a ponytail and brushed my teeth. I headed downstairs and had a waffle. Then I exited outside and raced the the market to find a job.

I walked around on the sidewalk looking for a "help wanted" sign. After all, I did come here to find a job also to pay for the house. While looking for a job I rembered about Natsume, she hasn't replied to my text yet. I stopped in front of a cafe. They needed some waitresses to take orders. Perfect. I thought. I entered and right away I heard a familiar voice.

"Welcome!"

I turned to that voice only to meet Natsume. We both stood silent, our eyes surprised for a moment. Then she lowered her head and ran to the kitchen.

"Koshitaro-san!" I yelled as she stopped in her tracks her back facing me.

"What do you want?" She said quietly. By the sound of her tone she seemed really upset. Out of habit I apologized.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry for hurting you. But, I don't like Makoto that way. He's a precious friend, so it's not like that. Please! Koshitaro-san, forgive me if I've hurt you."

"You didn't hurt me. I hurt myself." She said weakly. "I'm quite the jealous type you see..? I've liked Makoto since we were kids, but one day when he told me he was interested in you I've exploded. But I knew I was just hurting myself, why should I be jealous..?" She started to cry, "It's not like he likes me...I shouldn't have gotten in the way, might've as we'll give up."

"Don't give up! There's a chance he'll like you back! I support you Koshitaro-san! I'm also trying my best to chase after someone else, so please try your best!" I yelled. We were all silent for a moment until she smiled.

"You're such a sweet person, Yamamoto-san. You can just call me Natsume." She said wiping her tears.

I smiled with joy, "Sure! Call me Rin, Natsume."

The boss an old lady came back to the shop a few minutes later and I told her I wanted to apply for the job. She told me all the information about this cafe and I agreed. After filling out the application I waved goodbye to Natsume as if went home. My job at the Rose Cafe begins next week so I headed home. I opened the balcony door to find Haru asleep in his house through the windows. I was about to tell him about my job too. I sat on the balcony's granite floor. The nice breeze blowing in my face. Slowly I fell asleep.

"Haru!" I cried. "Sorry..sorry."

"Geez. How about this, I will no matter what stay here until you come back okay? He said. "So promise me Rin, to come back." He held out his pinky and I stopped crying.

While hiccuping I managed to tell him "Yes." And hooked my pinky to his.

"Hey, Rin! Wake up."

It was Haru's voice my eyes opened to see the night sky and to see Haru's face.

"You shouldn't sleep out here, it's cold." He said then I realized I was laying on his lap and got up.

"S-sorry. You had to come over here. Thanks for the blanket." As I handed him his blue warm blanket back. "You could've just woke me up or bought me to my room, you didn't have to stay out here with me." Then I blushed to the thought of him carrying me.

"But you're too heavy." He said.

"Agh! I'm not heavy!" How did he even carry me the night before?

"Yeah, yeah. I'm leaving." He said getting ready to jump to his balcony. Our balconies are only like two feet away from each other.

"Haru!" I called and he turned around.

"Good night!" I smiled. He soon turned a bit red just like that time during the aquarium. He turned his back to me.

"Night..." He said quietly and jumped over shutting his balcony doors.