Eight: Do I?

I walked into Alex's house, where I met Emily and a few of her and Alex's friends.

"We had a meeting a while ago," Alex began, "but they'll be gone soon."

"I have alcohol, you want some?" Alex offered, winking at me. The smallest things he does sets me off blushing like a teenage girl.

"Of course I do."

We made our way into the kitchen, where Emily followed us.

"Alex, I need a refill." Emily said from behind us. Alex turned around and frowned, as he watched a drunk Emily stumble around his kitchen.

"You don't need anything, it's time to go Em." Alex replied as Emily approached him. I took a step back, staring at Emily as she grabbed Alex's hand.

"Come upstairs with me." I heard her whisper to him. Alex pulled away from her, a disgusted frown on his face as he shook his head.

"Why? You fully into men since our...incident?" Emily smirked spitefully. Alex's eyes widened and I could hear his breath shake as he glanced at me. I looked back at him with a plain expression on my face, letting him know it didn't bother me.

"Be quiet Emily and go home. I'm over you. I have been for a long time." Alex snapped at her. Emily glared back at Alex, a look of anger and hurt on her face. Alex took a few steps back, as if she was going to swing at him. Instead, she sadly and drunkenly stumbled away.

Alex looked over at me and sighed. "Sorry about that." He apologised, letting out an awkward laugh. As we heard people leaving the house, I shook my head and smiled lightly, telling him it didn't matter.

Alex ushered everyone out, making sure they were all gone, even Emily. She managed to hold herself back from arguing more with Alex, and finally left. After scanning the house to make sure there was no one left, Alex poured me a drink and we sat in the living room, where he turned on some music to let it play in the background.

"So when do you start your new job?" Alex began.

Is he trying to start some sophisticated conversation with me? Small talk? Why doesn't he just talk about other stuff instead?

Why doesn't he just kiss me?

Just kidding. I couldn't do that. Not after the other day. I'd probably confuse him and create a load of drama in his life.

"I start on Monday. I've got to do an induction and all that stuff though." I answered him.

I expected him to continue, but instead, he suddenly gasped and placed a finger over his mouth, indicating me to be quiet.

"What?" I whispered.

Alex grinned, "this song."

I listened for a second, to hear one of my favourite songs, After The Afterparty by Charli XCX. I remember this coming on at the party I went to the other week. Ah, memories. Actually, hardly any memories, because I blacked out.

I grinned at Alex, who was mouthing along to the song. He bobbed his head along to the song, then stood up.

Please don't dance...