Ten: What Are You Doing Here?

I had a little sleep in, knowing I'd have enough time to get ready for work if I slept a little later than usual. I felt so overly tired and I'd only had this job for five days.

It had been five days since I started work and so it was also just about the same time since Alex told me he needed space. I'd been so tempted to text him, but I left it alone. I didn't want to get myself hurt and involved in something I knew was just never going to work. It was obvious he struggled with his love life. Even still, my sad heart continued to like him.

I had an earlier shift at work, which started at 2pm, so I had just about an hour to get ready and get there. When I got downstairs, I saw my dad's case for work on the sofa. It was weird of him to leave it, he was always so organised and careful. I called him while getting ready.

"Dad, you forgot your work case." I said once he answered. The call was silent for a second.

"Shit!" He exclaimed.

"You want me to bring it? I'll probably make it before my shift starts." I offered.

"Yes please, if you can. I didn't even realise. I was in a rush this morning because my boss wanted me in early, I must have forgotten it." Dad explained, although I didn't require the panicked explanation. I said my goodbyes, quickly got ready for work, grabbed dad's case and got a taxi to his work, forgetting to eat breakfast. Nervousness took over as I realised I could possibly run into Alex, which was the last thing I wanted. I was too awkward for that.

The traffic was awful. I'd never seen it like this, most likely because I hardly came through the town, but it was making me nervous thinking I was going to be late. Once I made it to my dad's work, I rushed up to his office and practically threw his case at him.

"What time is it?" I asked him. He checked his laptop, "1:56."

My eyes widened, "what?!"

I quickly said goodbye to my dad and ran out of his office. I rushed down the corridors, running as fast as I could down the stairs instead of using the lift, although I was on the fifth floor so I was debating my decision on the way down. As soon as I was on the bottom floor, I pulled my phone out and texted my boss to tell her I may be a couple of minutes late. I continued to rush as I texted, not aware of my surroundings, when I bumped into a familiar chest, causing my phone to fly out of my hands.

I didn't know what to focus on more, the fact that my phone just went flying or the fact that I just bumped into the person I didn't want to see right now. Alex. I stared at him, almost glaring, before quickly twisting my body and picking up my phone. As soon as I picked it up, I turned it over and groaned, seeing cracks all over the screen.

"Shit, I'm so sorry." Alex apologised as he stared at me with wide eyes, my eyes still glaring back at him.

"I didn't mean to, I'm..." Alex stopped speaking and frowned at me, "are you okay?"

I sighed and shook my head, "I'd love to stay and chit chat Alex, but I'm gonna be late for work."

"I can drive you." Alex offered.

I shook my head, "it's fine, I'll manage. Plus, you're the one who needs space."

I walked away, not waiting for a reply.

Little petty of me, but I am petty.

I got a taxi to work, which got stuck in traffic again, so I was at work fifteen minutes late. I rushed through the building and into the back, sweating like never before, when I saw my boss.