Fifteen: Crappy Week, Happy Ending

I was on my way to work the next day, although my dad told me not to go because of everything that's happening with my mum dying.

However, I didn't want to sit at home crying alone when I could just go to work and act like everything's normal. Nothing is normal right now, but it's better to act as if it is. Is it?

Dad left me a note this morning (as he had gone to work before I was awake) telling me he wanted to talk to me tonight, most probably to talk about my mum, or about me being gay. Or both.

As soon as I got into work and walked into the back, I received an odd look from my boss.

"You're not supposed to be here." My boss began, her eyebrows raised in suspicion.

"It's my shift today isn't it?" I asked, but I think I know why she was confused.

"I got a call from your dad saying you wouldn't be in today because a member of your family passed." She said, raising her eyebrows again and folding her arms across her chest.

I sighed and looked down, "I'd rather be at work than at home crying on my own."

She sighed, but nodded soon after, "if that's the case, I hope you can attempt to not bring your feelings into work."

I shook my head, "I won't."

I began work, taking it easy and acting as normal as I would any other normal day.

That was until Alex walked in, four hours into my shift. He walked in with a woman with dark skin and beautiful afro hair, slicked back and tied up in a bun on the top of her head. She was most likely someone Alex was doing business with.

My eyes widened as they followed a waitress to a table and sat down. He obviously didn't notice me, or probably didn't even know I'd be here today, but he knew I worked here so maybe he came to see what the restaurant was like.

"I'll take that guy's order." I told the waitress that sat them down, nodding my head at the table Alex and the woman were sat at. I watched them and waited until it seemed like they were ready to order, before walking over to them. Alex didn't seem to notice I was there until I began speaking.

"What can I get you guys?" I asked, which immediately caught Alex's attention. His head flicked up to me, his eyes widening.

"What are you doing here? I thought you'd at least take the day off." Alex asked, frowning at me.

I shrugged and smiled, before repeating, "what can I get you?"

The woman sat opposite him ordered her food, but Alex took much longer to order. I served their drinks, and then their food once it was ready.

I smiled down at Alex as I handed them both their food, before telling them to enjoy their meal. I received a kind smile and a thank you from the woman, whereas Alex gave me a mischievous grin when the woman wasn't looking.

An hour later, Alex was still here, talking with the woman and drinking champagne like the posh, rich man he is.

As my shift went on and I served other people, Alex and I shared glances with each other every few minutes. I was about to look over at him, but something else caught my attention.