Chapter Two: Manipulating Instinct

Protect

The action was instinctive as we wrapped our hands around the female and tossed her into the ditch, narrowly missing the vehicle that had been bearing down on her. My claws had dug deep into it's side, mangling the metal as I roared out my frustration. The little witchling had thrown me, gone after Bo.

Protect child

Dark whispers of my instinct wrapped around me tightly and I stalked into the ditch, feeling my muscles engorge and grow with my need to shift. No one was going to hurt Bo, not even the alluring red head who smelled faintly of desire. My keen eyes tried to search them out and I let loose a growl as I watched the witch crawl across the ground quickly. I bared my teeth and snapped them together, ready to pounce when she wrapped her arms around Bo and rubbed her cheek across her wet hair as if in peaceful bliss.

Rapidly crooned words escaped her mouth as she stroked the pup's arms, feeling her little fingers as she patted her head. My instinct slowly retreated and I was left wary but no longer filled with aggression towards the little witchling that seemed to be mothering the pup intently. I crouched down, moving closer slowly as she patted and preened Bo, lightly scolding her for being wet and cold. Bo looked at me but she sunk close to the witch as if comforted by her presence.

"Bapa?" Her small voice yanked on my instinct and I bared my teeth, moving closer before reaching out, snagging her from the witch's arms. She gave a small cry, her arms reaching for Bo as I pulled her away. Her green eyes glimmered in the dark as runes flashed across her skin in rapid dark pulses.

Female is distressed

Wants to hold child

Has strong instinct to mother

My instinct whispered at me and I narrowed my eyes at the witchling as Bo clung to me but reached out for the witch. The witch was distressed, her green eyes pleading as I held her at arm's length away from the pup. Her chin quivered as she made a low and pitiful sound, attempting to reach Bo's out stretched hand.

Female means no harm

Child safe

Allow contact

I slowly pulled my arm back, letting her close. She shuffled closer, nearly crawling as she tucked herself close to me, grasping at Bo, pulling her to her chest. My instinct hummed at me in satisfaction and I basked in the feeling of the female near me, tending to the pup. Her magick flashed across her skin in faint pink pulses. It was strange, I had never seen a creature of the Territory wear their magick like that. A rustling sound from further away had me bristling.

Protect

I slowly eased an arm around her, looking into the dark searching for any threats. "Come." They needed to be where it was safe. I attempted to pull the female but she resisted, her entire focus on Bo as she chattered to her. I tugged on her again and she once again resisted. I gave a low growl and pulled Bo away for her, leaving her in the ditch as I took the pup up to the road. It was not safe where we were.

A pitiful sound escaped the female and I tuned it out, even when Bo wiggled in my arms, echoing it. "I have a cabin you two can stay at for a bit. If you wanted." Her voice wavered, nearly lost in the rain. I stopped and slowly looked at her. Her arms were wrapped around her middle as she stared at me, her green eyes wide with longing. The female seemed... lonely.

It was odd. Witches lived in compounds, always surrounded by others. There was no reason for this one to feel lonely. Unless the rumors about warlocks were true. They weren't being born much like werefemales. I narrowed my eyes, she could have been luring me into a trap. Bringing me to her cabin and letting me get ambushed. I bared my teeth at her, a feral growl rumbling my chest at the thought of such trickery.